1994 suzuki gsx 600f struggling to run

jamesd1981

Hi folks looking for some advice on my suzuki gsx 600f, which has just started having problems.

I took the bike out yesterday seemed fine, but after less than 10 minutes when i was changing down the revs dropped and the bike just died, tried to get it started again changed settings on fuel tap but did not work.

After sitting a few mins i eventually got it started, but was very sluggish when i open the throttle and it does not respond straight away, it kind of splutters and pops and then will clear itself and take off, the bike ran for a few minutes then died again.

Once again after sitting a few mins it started again and was spluttery and banged off fuel when revved hard.

This cycle repeated a few times till i made it home.

Today i checked and changed spark plugs, but sadly did not work, it still follows the same cycle of running a few minutes then die, then after a few mins will start and seems fine, but after a few minutes dies again.

Any ideas on where to go next ?

Thanks james

i would start with the fuel cap breather, run the bike untill it cuts out open the fuel cap as quick as you can and see if you get a hissing or whoosh type sound of a vacuum being unlocked once you have opened the cap close it again and see if bike will start

I would run the bike, on stand with the fuel cap closed, then after it cuts out run it again with it open and see if it continues to run. Then you will have your answer....depression on the wrong side of the fuel....in other words breather blocked...

also check to see if your fuel tap has a vac line on it as the rubber could be perished and not having a good vacuum causing the diaphragm in the tap to not open properly

So i performed the fuel cap test, there was no hissing sound when i opened the fuel cap, I also tried running with the fuel cap wide open and it made no difference.

I checked the fuel tap and fuel is coming out, one thing i am not sure about is, when the fuel tap is not set to prime should fuel come out of the prime flow pipe, when i took the hose off the prime feed pipe there was fuel coming out, also this was done when the bike was not running.

fuel will come out of prime with and without the engine running but the on and reserve positions it should be closed off and no fuel coming out unless engine is running,anotherway to test it without running the engine is to put a hose onto the vacumm pipe of the fuel tap tuen the tap to the on position and suck on the vacuum pipe if no fuel comes out then the tap needs checking out

It might also be water or crap in the tank and carbs, have a look in the tank with a torch and drop the float bowls or carbs off to check them out, oddly our Postman runs a Bandit 600 and that just stopped one day and it took me ages to find the fault, it was a multi connector under the seat which was not making proper contact, I would also suggest cleaning all the connectors you can find with electrical cleaner including in the headlamp.

good luck

keith