Is it worth getting lessons/training for the A2 & A tests?

I've been driving a few months and i drive from north england to south wales quite often. It's a pain in the backside (literally) on a 125, so looking to do my test and get a bigger bike. I've heard it can cost £500-£600 to do the test with training. i want a cbr600 eventually but need to either wait two years (i'm 22) for that. Alternatively buy ANOTHER bike just for the two years and then do the A test. Finally buy the cbr600.

Are the extra training lessons worth it/needed to pass the tests. Also does anyone have any advice on the subject. Thanks. James

Are the extra training lessons worth it/needed to pass the tests. Also does anyone have any advice on the subject. Thanks. James

It IS possible to pass the tests without further training, my son did it a few years back.

However, the whole point of training is that you acquire skills that are likely to keep you, and us, safe when you're on the roads. Your choice entirely as to whether or not that is important to you.

'is training important'....in a word.....yes.

would you suggest anyone takes their car test without lessons???

same goes for bike...you may or may not be able to pass without the lessons, but on the whole theres a reason why training schools exist

How do you plan on doing your test if you dont have a bike?

to get A2 or A licence you also need to do it on a A2 or A category bike. Insurance, bike rental and test are all added in with the training costs. If you plan on insuring a bike you dont have a license for yet to do it on your own, consider how much more expensive insurance costs will be.

Have you got anywhere to practice mod 1 on your own and do you know exactly what to do? Any bad habits you might have picked up from riding on a CBT they will fail you for on mod 2? I know I did.

You will need some training in order to pass mod 2. Some more than others. You won't really know until you get out there with an instructor and he points out your shortcomings!

In my experience, people learning to drive cars tend to pick things up a little slower, because they're not as interested. People who learn to ride bikes read every bit of literature, post in forums, chat to their bikey mates, read magazines and are more interested in becoming a good biker. This generally means that the instructors need to impart less to their disciples. There are still some people that view having that A classification on their license as a right, not a privilege and expect to pass. These people are fools who will probably fail!

• 3 months later...

The only way to do it is with a school otherwise you have to sort out insurance for your own bike and transport to get it there Alot of hastle. I did it with a school £530. Passed, now got a cb500 :D the (reasonably) old school one.