looking for a decent alarm for my r6..

This

">
- the spy alarm

or the scorpio -

">

Both do pretty much the same thing. If I remember correctly, the main features for both are

proximity sensor

tilt sensor

shock sensor

remote shut off

when the alarm sounds, the fob sounds too and tells you which sensor is set off

On the scorpio, it tells you the time the sensor went off as well as which one, i'm not sure about the spy.

The only major differences between the two devices are the scorpio includes an electric start (which won't work if the bike has an immobiliser and you will have to DIY a work around if it has a kick stand or clutch sensor, otherwise the engine won't fire up)

The scorpio will arm and disarm automatically, depending on how close the fob is. ie when you walk away, it arms, but when you come back it disarms again.

The scorpio is massively more expensive but the one that I have on my bike. To have the remote disable on the scorpio, you need to buy a separate scorpio device to be able to do it. The reasons I got the scorpio over the spy is

1. because it automatically unlocks, and I have the fob in my work trousers all the time, which are then worn under my leathers, so if I had the spy and the fob was still in my pocket when I got to the bike, I'd have to strip to get it out.

2. the electric start won't work on my bike because the european versions of the CBR have HISS (Honda's Ignition Security System), which is basically an immobiliser which cannot be bypassed unless in theory you buy an American ECU which doesn't have HISS, but no one has ever tried it, so there is no guarantee it would work, plus its a stupid idea.

Neither will stop the bike getting stolen though, but both will tell you when the bike is being tampered with and the scorpio at least will give you a time too, so if you don't have the fob on you when it happens, you can refer back to it for CCTV perposes.

According to google maps, the scorpio works from at least 70 meters away from the bike, through walls etc as I had it go off at work. I have not tested it any further, but I think both products claim to work at much longer distances.

With the scorpio, it has two different ways of communicating with the fob, so it will tell you of a threat from long distances, but you have to be up close to be able to unlock it.

• 4 weeks later...

If your insurance company asks for a Thatcham Cat1 or even a Cat2, look on the Thatcham website which lists all the approved ones.

One interesting fact on the site is that a lot of alarms that were Cat1 are now expired and are only regognised as such if they were fitted before the date they expired.

HTH