Failed mod 2.....

Ok so I failed which I could accept but can't really understand why... I'll try explain

Going down an industrial estate and there is a arctic across the road reversing into a factory. There are two vehicles in front of me, one near to the arctic and one a fair distance back which appears to be parked. So as it wasn't moving, was miles from the car in front, no traffic from opposite direction (lorry blocking it) I decided to overtake and wait behind the car. over the radio I heard "stop". ( I had already behind the car). Anyway get back to the test centre and the examiner said it was a serious as if it had started moving then I would have been stuck at the side. I then said under normal condition how does filtering work? And he said you weren't filtering as you passed at about 20. i cannot see how this is a serious fault as the vehicle had stopped miles from ther, the was no oncoming traffic, I didn't put anyone in danger etc and even if the vehicle had moved he should have checked his mirrors and also would have to be going pretty quick to get from 0-20 in the time it took me to pass.

So am I a complete idiot for doing this? Can someone explain a little better why it's a serious fault? And also the speed limit for filtering when there is no oncoming traffic?.

Bumber and without being there it is so hard to know exactly how the examiner viewed it. It sounds like the car you thought was parked was not and it was waiting, so it could have moved forward trapping you on the wrong lane.

difficult to say without having been there, but

a. was there someone in the drivers seat of the car you passed

b. was the engine running

c. did you gain anything in real terms by overtaking it ( or were you still going to be sat behind the 2nd car anyway, thus taking some risk for no real gain )

for test purposes I would always say if theres nothing to be gained , don't bother.

my daughter failed hers first time for entering a roundabout with a big enough gap,( probably , just ) and the car coming round panic braking even though she wasn't near enough to hit.

if in doubt... don't....at least for test purposes.

to be honest theres dubious advantage to filtering anyway if the road ahead is clearly blocked

I understand your replys and it is hard to explain, I just can't understand why it's a serious fault. The other thing is if I had waited would he possibly seen it as warbaling? I guess I've got to take it on the chin and book another.... Another months wait....

How long do you think it will be before the examiners have cameras?

Sounds like the car in front of you was just waiting in line same as you...you overtook but if I'm understanding properly, the instructor is saying the car in front may have had the same thoughts as you and done exactly the same thing, which would either splat you, make you emergency stop or made you swerve in an emergency...either way, dangerous move. The other thing is...when you get to the front - you would have either not enough space between you and the lorry or not enough space between you and the car in front...either way it sounds like the over take was destined to be a dangerous or serious / both.

...but I wasn't there so might have the situation completely wrong in my head.

How big gap are we talking here? was the lead car likely to need to reverse? motorcycles are great at going forwards, but my reverse gear is shocking - especially uphill! if you'd needed to reverse up - i.e. if lead car had been too close to reversing lorry, you'd have struggled.

I think it may have been the reading of the road that let you down. Also, overtaking any questionably parked car at 20 mph when there's an obvious obstruction in the road ahead in a test situation is going to get your wrists slapped. even still, remember your life savers, both sides and you could argue that you've done your due diligence before moving in.

better luck next time - you'll probably find it's all plain sailing!

Between lead car and lorry there was about 3 car lengths and the lorry had plenty of space to move, between the parked and waiting car there was about 4 car lengths (maybe more). Always do shoulder checks etc as I see no reason not too.....

I guess I read the situation wrong in the eyes of the examiner, probably a bit harsh failing me but there is always next time I guess. I just hope I'm not waiting months for a re-test.