New aprilia rs 125 won't start plz help

ginge511

Hi all :)

I bought an Aprilia rs 125 a few days ago and everything was fine started no probs at all, but ast night and today it just won't start?

We've tryed charging the battery,cleaning the spark plug,takn the spark plug out to see if it's firing and it was,had little bumps to try an get it working but nothing?

It seems as though It's flooded as it nearly starts but just doesn't get there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as the m.o.t is ready and booked for Tuesday, just hope i can get it fired up again so i can get it running.

how long did you leave the battery charging for? i only ask as my CBR did this when i first got it and it took over 4 hours of charge to get her started as the battery had gone so low!

I ended up needing a new battery as it had damaged it by being left to stand in the shop with no charge for so long!

how long did you leave the battery charging for? i only ask as my CBR did this when i first got it and it took over 4 hours of charge to get her started as the battery had gone so low!

I ended up needing a new battery as it had damaged it by being left to stand in the shop with no charge for so long!

I only left the battery charged for say 2 and a half hours max 2 times yet still nothing, just needs that extra bit and it would of started.

Seen as you've checked to see if its sparking, then I would have thought it would be a fuel problem, maybe dirt/water that has gone through to your carburettor. If your not too mechanically minded, I wouldn't like to surgest to you what to do incase you mess something up.

Have you got a Haynes manual or something similar?

I'm guessing you've already checked that theres fuel in it and the fuel tap is turned on.

Next try as Cyberwolf said and check your fuel cock.

If that looks clean then try the filter in the carburettor, but be carefull, don't unscrew anything on the carb that you don't need to, cause you'll end up adjusting it!

Here's an extract from an RS125 manual if its any help

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/Voodoo1972/1-1.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/Voodoo1972/2-1.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/Voodoo1972/3-1.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/Voodoo1972/4-1.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/Voodoo1972/5-1.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/Voodoo1972/6-1.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/Voodoo1972/7-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yep i sorted all that thx for all the help as useual everyone :)

Now onto something totally different :shock:

I went to the garage before to put £5 of petty in my bike, went to alricham and back to my house I'd say 15-17 miles max, got home and there was hardly any petrol left whatsoever?

Surley there's something wrong here?

I whipped the sparkplug out and it was quiet black with a golden look around the ring at the top, dry also?

On my way home 2 nights ago i noticed either the front wheel bearing of fork is squeeking so I'm going to grease this up , hopefully the will eend that problem?

As i was on my way home from alricham, before ,as i was slowing to a stop the rvvs on my bike were really high and then slowed down?

Near a virtual standstill it was at 5000 rpm for a second or 2 then came down?

What could be causing these problems anybody know please?

Plus I'm going to break the bridge on my cdi unit to get rid of the rev limiter hopefully all will be ok.

• 2 months later...
Hi all :)

I bought an Aprilia rs 125 a few days ago and everything was fine started no probs at all, but ast night and today it just won't start?

We've tryed charging the battery,cleaning the spark plug,takn the spark plug out to see if it's firing and it was,had little bumps to try an get it working but nothing?

It seems as though It's flooded as it nearly starts but just doesn't get there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as the m.o.t is ready and booked for Tuesday, just hope i can get it fired up again so i can get it running.

I have a rs 125 that doesn't have enough juice in the battery to start. Can the lights be turned off when starting the bike?

I tried unconnecting the lights from behind the lights (if that makes sense?!), the bike wouldn't start, couldn't tell if that was due to not enough battery juice or lights not connected.

thanks

kneejouster, the new rs125 always has the lights on for safety reasons... I test rided one recently and i have to ask. How do you live with it lol. It has no powerband and it splutters when i get to 5,500 rpm. It can't compete with the older model in power and its really uncomfortable to ride especially over a long distance.

kneejouster, the new rs125 always has the lights on for safety reasons... I test rided one recently and i have to ask. How do you live with it lol. It has no powerband and it splutters when i get to 5,500 rpm. It can't compete with the older model in power and its really uncomfortable to ride especially over a long distance.

Its painful on the wrists after 45mins yes lol. For my first bike the power is fine, i love it. getting it de-restricted soon so will be overtaking cars, not stuck behind them like i am at mo lol.

Kneeejouster, you tried bump starting it?

Once you got it running, take it for a good ride, let the altinator fill the batt up.

There wasn't enough power for a bump start. read the manual :roll: worked out how to charge the battery. starts first time :D

How fast does the new model go kneejouster. And at what RPM??? Just doing some comparisons between the new and old to see which is better lol.

had the restricted one at 79mph going at 8500rpm (on a private road of course!!) with a slight downhill gradient.

getting it de-restricted soon, will let you know the speed then.

You do know about the c.d.i restriction dont you. Do that and it makes it run smoother. Put a race carb and exhaust on it and new sprockets and it should do 110mph with it doing 79 at 7000rpm. Makes motorway travelling easy when its derestricted. Also stick a power valve on it and then you'll be cruisin.

You do know about the c.d.i restriction dont you. Do that and it makes it run smoother. Put a race carb and exhaust on it and new sprockets and it should do 110mph with it doing 79 at 7000rpm. Makes motorway travelling easy when its derestricted. Also stick a power valve on it and then you'll be cruisin.

Didnt know about the cdi restriction, thanks fozzie.

googled it, removing the cdi invalidates the manufacturers warranty, so not gonna do it before my manufacturers service on june 9th.

got the power valve on it. the rest of your upgrades will be about £500 fitted by a garage, prob not vfm if i sell it soon. thanks for the opinions, i am eager to get more speeeeeed :D

When are you selling it? I may be interested....Also how much would you sell it for?

might be within a few months, when i get a full licence. I wont give you a price as im not sure if i want to sell it to upgrade to bigger bike or keep it to gain road craft.

theres loads on ebay, autotrader etc the usual places to look.

Wow, I take it its cheap to insure? My RS50 cost me £500 to insure third party fire and theft with a cbt but with full licence it costs me £200. Is an RS125 much different to that?

Wow, I take it its cheap to insure? My RS50 cost me £500 to insure third party fire and theft with a cbt but with full licence it costs me £200. Is an RS125 much different to that?

Its cheap, yea. £330 full comp on a rs125 2007 which cost £2000, with CBT licence only. 0 years bike no claims bonus. im 23 with 5 year+ car licence all with no claims, used gocompare.com.