Curse of the fat calf!

Hello everyone,

I'm a brand new member of the forum and very new to the riding community in general. I passed my CBT in December and I currently ride a Honda PCX 125. However, I want to get a geared bike to start progressing towards my direct access. I only initially did my CBT so I had a way of getting to work but I've caught the bug and have decided I want to move onwards and upwards.

Now that I'm planning on upgrading the scooter to a real life bike, I'm also looking to upgrade my riding gear. This includes boots. Unfortunately, years of football have left me with enormous calves. I'm a size 7 shoe with 41cm calves and I preferably want to be able to tuck some trousers in too. I'm struggling to find a pair of boots that I can zip half way up and thats without adding trousers into the mix.

Can somebody please help me!!!!! I don't, ideally, want to be throwing a months wage at some boots but if thats what it takes then I will. I already have ankle boots and they just drive me insane. Thank you in advance for reading my long winded post!!!!!

Welcome to TMBF mate. ......... 8-)

Where are you based? There may be a bike shop nearby that you can go and try boots on. Me and Bonniebird went to J&S outlet store in Finedon in Northamptonshire the other weekend and tried a load of boots and lids on...... 8-)

Hi Tango!!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I went to J&S in Doncaster last weekend and tried loads on. Also ended up with a new helmet and trousers. It was an expensive day but worth it. I didn't manage to get any boots then but I keep popping in on the off chance that they have something.

Thankyou though!!

I had a similar issue. Ended up going to the Alt-berg shop and getting made to measure boots. Ended up getting size 4.5 soles fitted with size 6ish upper bits so the calf fitted.

Fit perfectly and not as expensive as you may think.

You could go for the smaller boots that only cover ankle high. Not got the full protection of 'proper' boots but if price of custom made becomes an issue then it's a good stop gap.

Hello everyone,

I've not be on for a little while but thank you very much for your responses.

I already have some frank thomas ankle boots. They're comfortable but I like tucking my trousers in. It took me like 2 years to find wellies lol.

How much were the altbergs please? If you don't mind me asking. I have looked at their shop a few times but because they are custom I assumed they would be a fortune.

I'm looking at the adjustable calf boots now. Lets see how wide they go.

Thanks guys!!

I ended up paying around £170 for mine if I remember right.

They were definitely cheaper than the Daytona boots that were another possibility for me.

Should last for years too. Very well made.

I had budgeted £250 for them to be honest. The next closest bike boots I could get that sort of fitted were the Daytona Ladystar boots at £300-ish. They were not nearly as comfortable, didn't feel as sturdy and I didn't think they were worth the money. I decided that if someone could do boots for less than £250 that were comfortable then I'd get them, otherwise I would just wear big army boots of something else on my bike.

I suspect I ended up with a bit of a discount from Altberg as I was in the shop chatting to them for hours while trying different styles and fits. They guys are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They have got the money back from their discount now however, as I've just bought a lovely pair of hiking boots from them now :)

I'd recommend Altberg to anyone looking for boots. They are one of the best brands in my opinion for durability, comfort and value. There is a reason the military and police use them.