learner drivers allowed on motorway in 2018

fredc

When I passed my bike test, I ripped off my L-plates and made a point of riding home on the motorway, because I could. I remember thinking how uneventful it was.

That was back in the day when I did my full test on my own 125cc bike which at the flick of a switch went from 12 to 34bhp.. :twisted:

lmao i need one of those! :lol: :lol: in serousniess though i was like that on the a19 first time , got to full revs and sat there for 30 mins saying to myself are we there yet, are we there yet?

Nope didnt go on a duel carriageway during cbt, heck we didnt even get above 30mph so at that stage i was totally unprepared to go onto a 70mph road crash waiting to happen lol

A roads dont bother me now have done the a-19 lots of times and i use a duel carriageway everyday for work.

I think learner bikers should be ok on motorways IF your training on a bike that's powerful enough to at least hit the speed limit and give you a bit more in case you need to get out of a bad situation, so training for your DAS or bigger A licenses, with an instructor fair play

125s on a motorway just reminds me of people on 30mph mopeds doing duel carriageways, yeah you can do it but really??

(unless its the m1 at peak times then you would be stuck in traffic pushing your bike :P )

Sorry, I meant going on a dual carriageway a a little while after the CBT as you said that would be suicidal. My CBT too was only on 30mph roads, but taking it in central London did not offer any alternatives. And I guess people taking it there now are probably having to do it on mostly 20mph roads!

Major dual carriageways are the same speed as motorways though, so what difference does a motorway make to being on a 125? The odd hill apart, a 125 should be able to manage 60 and which is the legal limit for some vehicle types anyway, so is not considered too slow for those types of road.

It took a while to build up my courage to first go on a bigger dual carriageway, but I felt really stupid having been nervous about it because it seemed far safer than singe lane roads. On the dual carriageways you have wide lanes and the whole road being so wide gives greater visibility around what are also shallower bends. Faster traffic just changes lane to overtake, so you can just do your own thing with not having to worry too much. But on a single lane road most drivers only pull out just enough, start merging before they have fully passed, will race to beat traffic islands, and all other crazy stuff. When someone is behind you then you have to spend as much time looking in the mirrors as where you are going just in case.

And plenty of times I have been stuck behind a car going slower than I could, but was not able to overtake as it was approaching the junction where the road changes into a motorway. Which they then continue onto at 40 or 50 whilst I had to turn off. A car was seriously doing 40mph on the three-lane A23 and stayed on as it became M23, whilst I went through Crawley at 50mph anyway.

I agree though about not having anything to spare in case of emergency though,but that is usually no different on NSL single lane roads.