Technique for changing down gears

Guest newbie

Hi

I have a question about changing down gears.

Is it more correct to re engage the clutch after you tap down each gear, or is it ok to just tap down to the gear you want keeping the clutch in the whole time, and then re engage when you are in the gear you want?

For example, changing down from 5th to 2nd, is it better to change to 4th, re engage, change to 3rd, re engage etc, or can you just hold in the clutch, tap down 3 times and then re engage?

From an engine braking point of view, does it "work" better if you re enagage after every shift down, or do you get the same effect when you engage after all the shifts down? Is it worse for your bike, or from a stability point of view if you hold the clutch in while you shift all the way down?

I ride a 125 at the moment, so engine braking really doesn't exist (!) but whn I get a bigger bike I'd like to know what the correct and best way to do this is. I got taught on my CBT to just hold the clutch in and shift down until I'm in the gear I want, but I've noticed other riders don't do this.

Thanks!

It's called block changing, it is perfectly acceptable, just make sure you don't go too low a gear or you could risk locking up rear end.

A little blip of the throttle before releasing clutch lever will smooth transaction too. What you should aim to do is be in the correct gear for the speed you are travelling so a lot of the time it will be a single gear change.

Downshifting to match your slowing speed is called engine-breaking.

I never slam down gears, I always shift a single gear at a time, makes it smoother and after a while its second nature so I never think about it anyway.

And yea, if you slam down gears eventually you could probably underestimate your speed and have the bike violently pull back on you which could end dangerously.

One at a time mate, let the clutch out too soon after changing down a handfull of gears and you will slide the rear tyre(even on a 125)

This is called 'backing in' and heros can control it(see supermoto racing), however, normal mortals cant!

One at a time will help keep control, reduce stress on the bike etc.

Just as an example, get going down a long slope in top, 40ish. make sure no other traffic is around, then pull in the clutch and try to get to first and back up to top. You will notice the gearbox clunking and banging away. It doesnt like it! try not to do it.

Alot of instructors do. On mine they told me to slam straight down into first when coming to a stop, which I never do, it sounds horrible and feels unsteady so cant be good for the gearbox.

THanks for all the advice guys - I will start practising changing down one at a time.

Makes me worry that they taught me to block change on my CBT though....

Don't get hung up on it. Nothing wrong with it, just don't go down too many gears. It saves the gearbox and clutch from wear due to less changes (clutch in/out and gear selections)

Really though, like I said, aim to always be in the correct gear for your road speed. If this means dropping a couple then do so, if only one then do so, if coming to a stop then it may be a shift down into first or neutral (don't coast though!)

If you're coming to a stop from 40 to some lights, you hit the brakes, clutch in BANG BANG BANG first gear, then the lights change, you're still doing 20 as they change, you let the clutch out you'll either lock the back wheel or have your face thrown in to your speedo, and your engine will make a very ugly noise.

I always change down one at a time according to my speed so if needs must i'm good to go again.

I've allways changed down a gear when braking even in a car.

The instructors i've used have allways looked down on it tho, change ether to 1st when coming to a stop or 2nd for turning into a street. i prefer to downshift one at a time just feels like u have more control.

Mine feels better if you don't blip...

But it gets a bit knarly if you try to do too many downchanges at once...

Have always blipped on downchanges and have never crashed through the box.....

Except on purpose when backing it in on the SV or when motocrossing... :wink: