Can some1 help please!!!

Guest petecolli

Hi all ,i'm new here so please be kind..lol

I bought my self a honda nsr 125 2stroke last weekend. (my first bike)

The bloke i bought it off said it hadent been serviced for a while so deside to have a go at doing a few things myself this weekend.:rolleyes:

Chainged the plug first, (no probs) checked the air filter but no filter in there, so got one from local bike shop while there thought i'd get some oil to give it an oil chaing,sooo i drain what i thought was the oil..but then i find out that i've draind the gear oil and replaced it with engine oil:eek: so i've draind that now and i'm waiting till the shop opens to get some gear oil to puy back in..

Will it be ok just to fill it back up or will i have to do somthing else.

Also noticed after chainging the plug and putting in new air that the bike is ticking over realy fast 2000 to 3000 revs..

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Hi, why don't you introduce yourself in the noob section and then post your question in the Pit Stop forum? There will be quite a few people who could help you there.

I'd say if you pour some gear box oil straight through to rinse as much 2 stroke through as possible, then top it up with gear box oil should be ok, when you took the old spark plug out what did the electrode look like black = too rich, brown = just right adn white = too lean, it can tell you a lot about the health of the bike, i'd set the idle rate again now you have an air filter and new plug, take off the right hand fairing just under the airbox there is an oval whole the idle screw is accressable through this hole,

you might want to check these nsr sites

http://www.nsr125.com (good site)

http://www.nsr125.co.uk (good forum)

http://www.125ccsportsbikes.com/forums/ (good forum) alains knows everything to do with nsr's

check the sticky threads for links to manuals and guides,

Thanks for your reply.

The plug was brown so i assume thats good. will get some gear oil in a bit and flush it as you said.

What should i set the idle too? i think it was on about 1000.

Thanks for the links i will have a look at them.

Well I'm not sure you've done anything wrong. To me engine oil is gearbox oil. The problem only arrises if you mean the two-stroke oil that mixes with the petrol, and I don't see how you could of drained that easily.

So please confirm when you drained the old oil out, was it by removing a bolt from the bottom of the engine, or was it by some other means? :?

I draind the gear oil out by removing the bolt from the bottom it was a long one about 3-4 inches long.

I then filled it up using 2stroke oil.I have now undune the bolt and draind the 2stroke oil out.

now i need to fill up with gear oil but dont know wich oil to put in???

I draind the gear oil out by removing the bolt from the bottom it was a long one about 3-4 inches long.

I then filled it up using 2stroke oil.I have now undune the bolt and draind the 2stroke oil out.

now i need to fill up with gear oil but dont know wich oil to put in???

Right I understand now, your right that 2 stroke oil doesn't go in there. The oil you need would be something like sae 10w40.

If you want a manual try this link

http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?fileid=072111110100097095078083082095049050053095083101114118105099101095109097110117097108046112100102

yeah thats the idle screw,

voodoo i heard poeple using 10 40 4 stroke oil in there gear box on another forum, but when i got some gearbox oil from putoline it's 2 stroke gearbox oil but it's 80w, is 40w ok to use

yeah thats the idle screw,

voodoo i heard poeple using 10 40 4 stroke oil in there gear box on another forum, but when i got some gearbox oil from putoline it's 2 stroke gearbox oil but it's 80w, is 40w ok to use

It says thats the one to use in the manual above

Thats where im getting confused on the workshop manual i down loaded (thanks for the link) it said 10-40,but reading some of the posts on anther forum they say 10-40 is for 4 stroke engines not 2stroke.

Need to try and get some asap as i need the bike for work tomorrow.

if any one knows for sure can you please reply to the post.

thanks