My Kawesaki ZZR600cc Wont start

Guest erasor1

i have been repairing my ZZR600 Kawesaki, unfortunately the bike will not start, i have read the manual and have done the following:

- Cleaned out carburettors and corretly placed back on bike

- Changed spark plugs

- checked ignition coils are giving spark plugs a spark

- Checked fuel pump is working

- Replaced fuel tap

- Replaced fuel lines

When trying to turn engine on the engine turns but doesnt start. When trying to turn engine on fuel can be smelt from the carbs which indecates the fuel pump is working. IF anyone has any ideas it would be a great help.

"- Changed spark plugs" he has done already

Google it matey!

Try putting a little fuel into the piston chambers (remove plugs and tip a little in)

Get the battery charged or get a booster on it

If you have checked everything, here is what is remaining to check.

Have a look at your vacuum pipe that goes to the carb. The pipe creates a vacuum to draw the fuel in. If that pipe is damaged, then it will let air in instead of fuel and the bike will not start; it will just keep on turning and eventually drain the battery. I have seen the same problem on a Yam and a Triumph and both had broken vacuum pipes. Once replaced, they fired up straight away.

Also intorduce yourself in the noob section and next time post in the Pit Styop forum :wink:

When trying to turn engine on the engine turns but doesnt start. When trying to turn engine on fuel can be smelt from the carbs which indecates the fuel pump is working. IF anyone has any ideas it would be a great help.

it could be the carb float hieghts are wrong or needles stuck. i presume the bike has been standing idle for a while?

it sounds like your engine is floading. this could be caused by a number of things. the easy one is a stuck float valve. try draining each carb by opening the drain screw (bottom of the bowl (not easy to reach with them fitted!))

before you try to fire up again or reopen the fuel valve, you should remove the plugs and flick the kill switch then crank the engine over for 30 seconds or so to remove any buildup of fuel from past start attempts.

open the fuel tap again and try that.

even if the enginer just starts to fire up after this, it would be a clear indicator that the carbs are gummed up. you could stick at it at this point and just repeat a few times until it fires or you could just bite the bullet and take them out for a good clean. it would be worthwhile doing this anyway ;-) :wink:

try switching the kill switch on and off mine has this issue that sometime if not used for a while it will turn over but not start and if i play with the swicth it starts ...

to rule out vacuum pipe / fuel cock not allowing fuel through as mentioned above see if it starts on 'PRIME' on your fuel cock..

Thing is seen as you've had the carbs off / cleaned them I'd doubt your floats / needle aren't working as you will have taken great care with these with cleaning etc..

Does it sound like its trying at all? is it literally just turning over or does it occasionally fire?

you tried with choke on/ off (choke cables on right isn't it?) did you take / move the jets in your carbs? idle jet might not be screwed in right?

I'm only a beginner tbh but 'carbs' are fresh in my mind as i've just done my own.

ok, as a backup to last post i checked my carbs again

float chamber 1-3 were perfect, floats set correctly, float 4, the hight ajusting nut was loose making float way too high, put screw back in correctly.

the bike fired up and purred perfectly, idled corectly and when revved the rev metre would come straight back down one throttle cloased again :D

one problem, did a check on the oil, and it was totally full, opened the cap adn could see the oil, (not good) i drained the oil, it smelled like petrol or paint the oil is pretty. more like water than oil.

iv replaced the oil and put a new oil filter on today, but the bike wont start, we tried to bumb it but it backfired (like a firecracker) as first the engine started but then it died then backfired. tried it 2 times and same thing happened, we have checked the vacum pipes and other things. does any1 have any ideas on what is wrong?

thx

the bike wont start, we tried to bumb it but it backfired (like a firecracker) as first the engine started but then it died then backfired.

the bike will backfire if you get fuel in the exhaust then it fires up (ignighting the fuel in the exhaust)

it sounds like you flooded the engine. take the plugs out and dry them off. leave them out for a while then try again...