CBR 125 sometimes will not change gear

lib

Hello folks,

I have been having an issue with a new Honda CBR 125. I say new, I mean new to me. The previous owner had left it standing for a few months before I got it.

Sometimes (once or twice in a half hour ride) the bike will not change gear. The clutch is in and I am changing the gears but the bike doesn't want to respond. I have found that if I ease out the clutch and then back in again it usually works again then no problem again for a long while.

I would be grateful for any ideas on what it could be.

Thanks!

Lib

Hello folks,

I have been having an issue with a new Honda CBR 125. I say new, I mean new to me. The previous owner had left it standing for a few months before I got it.

Sometimes (once or twice in a half hour ride) the bike will not change gear. The clutch is in and I am changing the gears but the bike doesn't want to respond. I have found that if I ease out the clutch and then back in again it usually works again then no problem again for a long while.

I would be grateful for any ideas on what it could be.

Thanks!

Lib

How is the clutch?

also you might want to clean the area around the gear rod. SV's have a problem with cack build up here effecting gear change. might be the same with your CBR

Hello Vicki - Have posted a hello :-)

About the gearing problem. The clutch engages OK. You can tell because the bike doesn't stall when stopped and can be rolled backwards and forwards.

The problem is that the gears sometimes decide not to change when the clutch is engaged.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :-)

I have spoken to the nearest Honda dealer. They told me that this is normal for a bike, particularly if you have not geared down all the way before stopping. I just need to roll the bike forward or backwards and it will gear again.

Is that true? Is that normal?

Acually - It is failing to change gear when the bike is still moving. Release the clutch a little bit and it clicks, then the gear can be changed again.

Thanks,

Paul

I have spoken to the nearest Honda dealer. They told me that this is normal for a bike, particularly if you have not geared down all the way before stopping. I just need to roll the bike forward or backwards and it will gear again.

Is that true? Is that normal?

l

i was about to say the same thing.

the gears are sequential (i think thats the word) to speed, so as you are stopping at some lights you need to down shift and aim to be in first just before you stop.

same happened on my CBR125, i soon learnt to do the above and never had any problems. Plus is good practice aswell!

so to recap, you cant slow down and stop at some lights and down shift from 5th to 1st all in one go.

i hope that made sense!

Hmmmmm. interesting...

Thanks for your reply bigup.

I thought this couldn't have been the problem for a couple of reasons:

1. The bike was still moving and her solution was to move the bike backwards and/or forwards so if this were true it would have resolved itself.

2. It wasn't just when the bike was stopped; I would be riding along squeeze the clutch to gear and there would be no response.

Maybe I am not gearing down quick enough when it is reducing in speed? I don't seem to remember it happening when I am gearing up, only gearing down. (although it is hard to remember exactly).

So I suppose my questions now is:

While I am pootling around town I am trying to keep the bike reving around 5k and let it reduce to 2k before gearing down. Is that too low? Should I completely avoid skipping gears on the way down? like, don't skip from 5th to 2nd or 3rd?

Thanks again,

Paul

I have just been out on the bike for about an hour and I have been making sure I gear down earlier which seems to have eliminated the problem.

I think this is the end of the problem, so thanks for your help folks!

Paul

change the oil mate it sounds like it is loosing its viscosity when warm :wink: you should be able to put it in any gear at speed..obviously without a slipper all it will do is lock the back end up :shock: