Allen head bolts!?

softwarez

So, I'm replacing the exhaust system on my new bike (the 125 is gone).

Basically.. The manifold bolts are allen bolts.. why on earth? I tried to take one off and it just wont budge... any ideas or tips? (I have soaked in WD40).

Cheers.

So, I'm replacing the exhaust system on my new bike (the 125 is gone).

Basically.. The manifold bolts are allen bolts.. why on earth? I tried to take one off and it just wont budge... any ideas or tips? (I have soaked in WD40).

make sure the exahst is cold and soak the bolt heads again in WD40. leave it 1/2hr and spray more WD40 on them.

i use allen key sockets so you get more leverage on the bolt with a socket wrench than a straight forward allen key.

brute force and ignorance is probably nessesary :lol:

Just isnt having any of it.. called several garages and they all mentioned how stubborn they are on these bikes. They said they need heating up and even then, the heads can snap off etc.. So I've just left it with a garage I've always trusted.

Bloody typical...

I was also told by the same garage that the Bandit's manifold bolts are made of alloy or cast alloy? and the head is made of something different and when warmed up after awhile they actually infuse together :S nice... bet that's even more fun.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

long allen bars on sockets, so you can get in with a socket drive, also clears the frame and exhaust pipes, and gives you the leveredge required,

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/simonevans73/KatForks-AllenSocket.jpg

Was going to say exactly what WalneyFrankie said. My bike's got allen bolts on the wing mirrors and I had to get an allen socket to get them off and now they come off easily.

Failing that (if they're really really really stuck) you could try an allen bit and put it in an impact driver.