HMM problem with my 50 HELP PLEASE :S

Guest robbrown

i live in weymouth and i recently drove to bournemouth to see some family on my Generic Trigger SM50 it's De-Restricted and tops at about 55. on my way back i found that the bike seemed to be fighting against me, it wouldnt idle in neutral, and i had to turn the carb up just to be able to stop at lights. its difficult to explain, when you are in say 6th gear flat out and you drop down to 5th you can hear as the gearbox slows the revs down and once the engine gets to the right revs it calms down, well my engine seems to be trying to slow it down in every gear, even if i was in 6th gear and rolled down a hill the engine would cause the bike to slow, its almost as if im driving against the engine :S

Does anyone have any ideas? would be greatly appreciated thanks

Edited by Anonymous

Guest David

I am guessing this is a 2 stroke, its sounds like it’s out of oil or on the verge of the engine seizing. Task the spark plug out and check the condition against a Haynes manual to check that it isn’t running to lean.

check air filter and plug first.

then it may be a case of fine tuning the mixture screw as it may be the reason its bogging down.

if the filter and plug are ok all you need to do is hold the throttle at say 2000 rpm and then turn the mixture screw anti clock wise till you get the smoothest running and then turn the screw clockwise a small amount say quarter turn to rich-en the mixture slightly and it should improve the running hth

yeah there shite.... cant wait to get my KTM lol

no the engine still sounds like its running but as soon as i loose of the throttle the engine starts slowing the bike down even if im in bottom revs highest gear it still engine breaks.... i dont have a rev counter.... lol but ill have a look at the plug and air box tommorow ,,, what am i looking for in the air filter???

Sounds like fuel problem. Could be loads of things. Is it fine at low revs. If at high revs, its fuel. Check filters etc. Warm up, then run at high revs, hit kill switch, take plugs out and check mixture colour...thats the old way of doing it. Then there is electrical problem :? Havn,t got all day. Just check basics first, leads ets

just because it has oil doesnt mean the enine is getting any of it, could be the filter at the pump is blocked.. try adding some 2stroke to the fuel and see how that works..

just because it has oil doesnt mean the enine is getting any of it, could be the filter at the pump is blocked.. try adding some 2stroke to the fuel and see how that works..

If it is getting oil and he adds it to fuel it will foul up and not start from cold. Check the plug. This tells if there is oil, fuel and ignition problem

• 2 months later...

mine did that ive got the sm

I Cleaned the choke no problems since you just got to think what it could be the choke is proberly stuck on where was to other restrictions by the way as i have only removed the cone 45 mph if you got 55 can you list what you did please or email my account

thanks