U-turns!

Guest jackal

Hello :) I've been driving my Suzuki Marauder 125 around for a week or so, but am still having trouble with u-turns. Is it because it's a cruiser-style bike (my friend has a Yamaha ybr125 and makes it look so simple...)?

Anyone have any tips for u-turns? I keep almost hitting the curb, or slowing and almost dropping it...

Theres tons of threads on this bud with alot of useful advice. I, like 99% of the biking population had a huge problem with them aswell, Its all about clutch control. Keep it in the friction zone, rear brake dragging, LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO! relax. Give it plenty of throttle as you control the speed with the clutch anyway

Jackel.... If it's one thing I learnt that made U-turns easy (Yes easy) it was the rear brake....

Set the revs, use the clutch to control the bikes speed, and drag the rear brake.

Others have said "Look where you want to go, and don't look at the kerb"... I agree, BUT!!!

While I agree about not looking at the kerb, looking where I wanted to go didn't help me. I found looking about 3 metres in front of the bike helped me..... That's me though, and I ain't found anyone that has been able to use the same thing.

Now though I do look where I want to go... Unfortunately it's confidence. Once confidence arrives it's easy!!

Also don't use a cruiser. While it's possible to do it, it's not as easy as a standard bike.

Best example I saw of someone doing a U-turn was a while back when one of my uncle's mates did one outside his house on a big 1100. I asked him how he made it look so easy, all he said was "get her over and gas her up!". Sounded funny at the time but it makes sense. The more lean you get on the bike (not the rider, if the bike leans one way you lean the other at low speed so you don't drop it!), the tighter the turn will be. When you "gas her up" the bike wants to stand up straight so you won't drop it. I gave it a go and it's marvellous when you get it right. Just take it easy the first few times so you don't drop it.

The reason you're mate probably finds it easier is most likely because he's practiced it more. Do a few slow ones without the lean technique above, doing what people have said getting the biting point right and feeling the back brake. Look where you want to go (definately most important), and get it round. Who cares if you mess it up at first. If it takes 100 attempts to start to get them everytime you will get there. Just keep at it and find a way that suits you and your bike.

These guys know all about "getting her over and gassing her up"...

">

Best example I saw of someone doing a U-turn was a while back when one of my uncle's mates did one outside his house on a big 1100. I asked him how he made it look so easy, all he said was "get her over and gas her up!". Sounded funny at the time but it makes sense. The more lean you get on the bike (not the rider, if the bike leans one way you lean the other at low speed so you don't drop it!), the tighter the turn will be. When you "gas her up" the bike wants to stand up straight so you won't drop it. I gave it a go and it's marvellous when you get it right. Just take it easy the first few times so you don't drop it.

The problem with using this technique is that for whatever reason, if you need to stop half way around, you can't. Having said that, it does make it easier. I did it lots in my training but got a bollocking from my instructor for it. I was always told, keep your centre of balance over the centre of the bike, keep your head up and use the clutch/rear brake (mainly clutch though) to control your speed.

It will come with practise and confidence..........even on the Marauder.

Best bet is to find a big empty car park and practise doing it inbetween parking bays using the lines as guides. That way if you do over shoot, you're not going to hit a curb. Don't stare at the line/curb though otherwise you WILL ride in to it.

wow - the guys in that video go pretty low! Impressive :)

I'll definitely take all this in mind when I can get to a carpark to try it out. Thanks guys :)

DO A PERFECT U-TURN

Whether you're about to take your test, or perhaps could do with a little practice, here are 4 steps to completing the perfect U-Turn.

1) Start to ride forward slowly before turning your head right round to look down and beyond your finishing point.

2) Turn the bars to full lock straight away and start to make your turn. Careful use of the back brake helps slow things down and gives more control.

3) On sports bikes or bikes with less lock, lean the bike over and move your body to the outside as a counterbalance. Put your weight through the outside peg too.

4) Feel like your tipping too far? Tempted to put a foot down? Don't. A bit of throttle will stand the bike up again-the same force stops GP racers from falling down at extreme lean angles. :D :D :D

your cruiser will be a longer wheelbase than your mates ybr and probably with less lock to lock, so you won't be as tight.. EDIT: also the rake (angle of the forks) will be greater on a cruiser.. this is why cruisers don't corner as well as other bikes..

the police ST1100's (Honda) was like the QE2 compared to the BMWs, they used to need a full road width and some.. even seen one use a low kerb, just to get all the way round, practice somewhere with plenty of space, and get smaller as you get more confident.. like decreasing circles and fig8's from your CBT days..

THe lock on the Marauder is actually pretty good, certainly better than my current bike. It's possible to do relatively tight turns on it, but it may not be as easy as a 125 with more steering friendly geomtery.

I got used to U turns by finding a quiet part of an Industrial estate and doing a continuous figure 8 on the road.

Turning radius feels a bit bigger than the Sukida 125 I did my CBT on, but like the others said, dial in a few revs, drag on the back brake a little and control with the clutch.

I don't however go full lock, doesn't give you any extra room for adjustment.

Find a nice empty car park and start off with quite a large circle, then gradually, each time you're confident about it, make the circle smaller.

If you feel wobbly and want to put a foot down, do a few more laps of a slightly larger circle.

If you can find a car park with a bit of a slope, all the better, as then you'll be able to u-turn in narrow roads which slope off to both sides.

heya :) Have been moving house all weekend and for the rest of this week so not going to have a chance to get out on the bike for a few days... will let you know how I get on though!

The joys of moving house. You could strap something heavy like a wardrobe to your back seat and ride round a bit...up the centre of gravity and make the bike more unstable, that way the U-turns will be easy peasy!!

Edited by Pete

had to do a u-turn today, in a little car park... dropped it. Bums. Luckily a nice big man was there to help me pick it up. Snapped my brake lever off though... :(

No way :( That's a bit of a shit. How does the fairing look? If it's just the brake lever it's not so bad. Nevermind, live and learn, you can now tell everyone you've found the "tipping point"!