Colourtune/Compression gauge adaptors

steer_rally

I need to check the compression and general condition of my XJ600's engine, already own a Gunson Colourtune and HiGauge compression tester, both of which have the standard car-sized (14mm?) threads. I know that adaptors are available to step down to motorbike size plug threads, and that the comp tester will work ok, but does anyone know whether the colourtune will work ok with an adaptor? For some reason the few places I've visited today that actually stock the motorbike version of colourtune charge over £10 more than for the car version, for what looks like an identical piece of kit but with a different thread. I'm assuming then that the two kits (car & bike) are different and not interchangeable? Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Brilliant, thanks :cheers:

I did manage to find an old compression tester in the garage that you hold on with hand pressure against a rubber seal, but couldn't quite get a good seal on the inner cylinders. At least I hope that's why I got slightly low readings on those two cylinders. Have ordered an adaptor for my screw in gunsons tester from Holden. Thanks Frankie.

Anyway, I've been thinking more about the colourtune - I can see how a 14mm kit could be adapted to fit a larger plug hole, after all it would still reach into the hole to the same depth and the tip would still be in place to ignite the mixture. However, a 14mm kit wouldn't be able to fit into the smaller 12mm hole on the bike, no matter what adaptor I used, the spark wouldn't be in the right place to ignite the fuel. Does this make sense? If so, looks like I'm going to have to shell out on a new colourtune :x Any second opinions?

Brilliant, thanks :cheers:

Anyway, I've been thinking more about the colourtune - I can see how a 14mm kit could be adapted to fit a larger plug hole, after all it would still reach into the hole to the same depth and the tip would still be in place to ignite the mixture. However, a 14mm kit wouldn't be able to fit into the smaller 12mm hole on the bike, no matter what adaptor I used, the spark wouldn't be in the right place to ignite the fuel. Does this make sense? If so, looks like I'm going to have to shell out on a new colourtune :x Any second opinions?

if you read here the colourtune should have 3 sized adapters.. 14, 12 +10mm

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/colortune.html

never used one myself, i use the pics in haynes manual for checking plugs..