Hey- Bit of help please about my Sym Jet 50cc

Ben Whitcher

Hi Guys

I'm looking for some wiz infomation basically ive had this Sym jet 50cc Basix sat in my garden for a while waiting for me to turn 16, so the other day i tried to get it started again took a while and finally after bang's it started. That night i took it out and did 30mph on it with the restrictions on from what i know (exhaust breather pipe) so after this i would like to get it to 40mph + so my father cut of the breather pipe tonight and welded the hole close we then put the bike onto its side and re fitted the exhaust ( i was still holding it though) after this i hit the kickstart and it took a while to start then it started but sounded as if it was dying, so i took it out for a drive quickly and realised as soon as u give it some throttle it pops and feels like the power has gone (but hang on a minute i de restricted it, so i'm a bit confused :S) so basically i brought it back to the house and my dad went on it and from hearing it go up the road it sounds like something is blocking the exhaust or somewhere is loosing power badly as its got nothing now!!!

Sorry its such a long paragraph but some help would be great.

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum, pop into newbies and say Hi :thumb:

I'm not gonna be much help, but someone will be along shortly who is, ... hopefully ;)

Hi Guys

I'm looking for some wiz infomation basically ive had this Sym jet 50cc Basix sat in my garden for a while waiting for me to turn 16, so the other day i tried to get it started again took a while and finally after bang's it started. That night i took it out and did 30mph on it with the restrictions on from what i know (exhaust breather pipe) so after this i would like to get it to 40mph + so my father cut of the breather pipe tonight and welded the hole close we then put the bike onto its side and re fitted the exhaust ( i was still holding it though) after this i hit the kickstart and it took a while to start then it started but sounded as if it was dying, so i took it out for a drive quickly and realised as soon as u give it some throttle it pops and feels like the power has gone (but hang on a minute i de restricted it, so i'm a bit confused :S) so basically i brought it back to the house and my dad went on it and from hearing it go up the road it sounds like something is blocking the exhaust or somewhere is loosing power badly as its got nothing now!!!

Sorry its such a long paragraph but some help would be great.

Regards

Ben

Generally bikes are restricted by a large washer in the exhaust, i would re-instate the breather and see if the bike returns to normal. an aftermarket exhaust would be the best way to de-restrict it.

Ok cool first off we couldnt find any washer on the exhaust from what we could see and secondly the whole has been welded closed so the option of putting it back on it a bit dim now, thirdly do you know if they restricted the bike anywhere else as its still only doing 30mph lol not exactly speed machine , like us 16 year old boys want :)

Ok cool first off we couldnt find any washer on the exhaust from what we could see and secondly the whole has been welded closed so the option of putting it back on it a bit dim now, thirdly do you know if they restricted the bike anywhere else as its still only doing 30mph lol not exactly speed machine , like us 16 year old boys want :)

you wont see it as its likely to have been added when the exhaust was built it will be inside of the expansion chamber..

if you remove the exhaust and roll a marble inside, you will here it stop rolling when it hits an obstruction, this is what is restricting your bike...

i'm a jap 4 man, so these sym jets are new to me, but if it has a reed valve, it will be metal, replace with a fibre one, they move quicker so more responsive, well as much as can be for a 50cc..

however this is all for off road use, it is between you and your father whether you take a de-restricted bike onto the queens highway..

Great :cheers: i actually get somewhere now, so in order to remove this restriction i will either need to cut of end of exhaust or buy a race exhaust basically ? And i know with the restrictions etc but i dont think i can stand 30mph its like a snail and the humiliation of mates going faster will get to me :)

One part down just need somone to tell me why my bike is running so s*it with no power :s Btw what does a breather pipe do ?

Thanks

I'm going to do the boring old fart bit here! :lol:

you're 16! being on the road is a privilege!

the law says you can only ride a 50cc that will only do 30mph!

somebody at the manufacturers spent months on a computer

designing the exhaust to give the best performance, sound, weight etc etc

to meet those criteria!

do you really think you can improve it with a hacksaw/welder?

all you will achieve is a badly running, loud, annoying!, death trap that,

if you're really lucky will go 5 mph faster but will probably seize after an hour!

get another standard exhaust, put it back on, ride bike as intended till you're 17,

then go through the system to progress safely onto bigger faster stuff!

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but it's all you'll get from me, sorry! :D

Guest philgale

One part down just need somone to tell me why my bike is running so s*it with no power :s Btw what does a breather pipe do ?

Thanks

so my father cut of the breather pipe tonight and welded the hole close we then put the bike onto its side and re fitted the exhaust

think you answered your own question there....the manufacturer has made the pipe to work best, the breather pipe will no doubt give it the correct oxygen mix.....maybe probably wrong but im pretty sure it wouldnt be helping.