Rear Wheel Trouble

Guest bigtoe

I'm hoping someone here will have a nice trick to help me out with my predicament.

I'm trying to get my rear wheel off to replace the shoes on my drum brake but I can't get the axle to come out. It wont even budge. Common sense would suggest that I should just hit it out with a rubber mallet but it appears suzuki don't have common sense. They've placed the exhaust directly over the axle giving my no access to it :roll:

Apart from taking off the exhaust does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm trying to get my rear wheel off to replace the shoes on my drum brake but I can't get the axle to come out. It wont even budge. Common sense would suggest that I should just hit it out with a rubber mallet but it appears suzuki don't have common sense. They've placed the exhaust directly over the axle giving my no access to it :roll:

Put the nut back on a turn or two to protect the thread, then use a socket extension bar and a hammer. Would that give you enough clearance?

Failing that, does the nut on the other side have a hole running through it? If so, utilise that to give you lateral force (pull) while turning the nut from side to side. If no hole, I would just try wiggling the nut while pulling gently in the hope that it'd eventually free enough to pull it out completely.

TC, Thanks travel tomoz..

WHATS THE BIKE??? very helpful to know these things..

agree with Bogof, put the nut on a couple of turns and then use a long bar/screwdriver and tap with a mallet..

in addition...

make sure the bike's supported, and place something under the wheel as it will drop.. have you undone the torque arm, to the drum brake and the brake adjuster rod. also once the nut is loose,. slide the wheel forward and unhook the chain, rest it on the swingarm.. wheel should just drop out..

right here goes, forget all that, its an EN125, right.. put it onto the centre stand, put some wood under the rear wheel, undo the torque arm on the drum and the brake rod, loosen the wheel, and slideforward..

right interesting bit, undo the twin shocks on the bike, top might be easiest, then lower the wheel by removing the wood, keep it, you need to slide it under to put the shocks back on.. then remove the wheel..

when you remove the wheel support the arm, as the suspension/ wheel are holding it up... hook or loosely bolt up one of the shocks..