AJS CR3 125 kickstart removal.

Guest Kevin

normally there's a pinch bolt, like that on your gear lever, this pinches the lever onto the threaded spline, once the bolt is out, its a case of trying to get the thing off straight, pushing a bladed screwdriver into the slot and applying a little pressure spreads the sides, and helps slide the lever off..

thanks, i managed to get it off and get a look and i cant see anything wrong with the engine

it just wont start or do anything

and it being a 4 stroke its very difficult to get in to get a better look

the gears and clutch move right, the valves operate properly when i turned the bolt to manually move the piston

it just wont go under its own power

Engine runs???

goes into gear??

Then you have a clutch issue... you need to play around with the adjusters, one at either end of the cable, how long has it been like this, has the cable snapped...

more information required...

the engine will not start at all

i was riding home on monday and the revs dropped rapidly so i pulled over, and now it will not start at all

it does click into gear and i took it apart yesterday and could see nothing obviously wrong

everything seems to work how it should, piston, valves, gears, clutch, it all seems to work fine

it just will not start

OK, are you getting a spark at the plug... as its a kickstart you may need a willing volunteer... hold the plug on the head of the engine and kick over, if its not on the engine you will get a small electric shock...

thats what i was worried about im going to check everything over when i get chance, its very hard to take apart though lol

piston is going to be a pain to get to

Hold on a sec. Before you start ripping the engine apart, are you SURE it's seized, cos...

everything seems to work how it should, piston, valves, gears, clutch, it all seems to work fine

it just will not start

and

the gears and clutch move right, the valves operate properly when i turned the bolt to manually move the piston

it just wont go under its own power

...and now suddenly it won't turn over or anything? Have I missed something?

Does the electric start still operate and turn the engine over?

yeah it is quite confusing lol

on monday i was riding home and my revs rapidly dropped so i pulled over, the bike then would not start, not electric and the kickstart was locked

i got it home in my uncles van and had a look on tuesday, i took it apart abit and turned the bolt on the side to move it all manually and it all seemed to be doing what its suppost to, but the locked kick start is throwing me off the most, i didnt think it could happen lol

i cant see any problems in the electrics so far, but electrics aurnt my fav thing and i dont know much in that dept

i can give you any info you need but im totally baffled to be honest

Sorry, but I know the engine won't start...

Will the engine turn over by using the starter...

does it make whirring noises as if its going to start but just fail to start properly?

Or when you press the starter button does it just go "clonk" and thats it?

am i right in assuming that if the valves move the piston is fine??

because when i turned it manually the valves moved in order nicely

Probably. The valves would fail to open and close if the engine was seized, so chances are that your piston is OK

battery is a brand new battery that i got because the one i got with it was s***, and it never electric started before

ill try it this weekend, however i dont believe it is the battery

the thing im mostly concerned about is why the kickstart wont move and why my revs decided to suddenly drop for no apparent reason while i was riding

my tutour at collage said it could be the ignition coil but that wouldnt explain it i dont think

if the piston was siezed then it wouldn't move, the con rod wouldn't move, the bottom end wouldn't move, and the cam wouldn't move so the valves would't move, its all linked...

sod the kick start... for a moment..

put the bike in its highest gear, sit on the bike (you'll need a helper) get helper to push you and bike (like jump starting a car) you'll need clutch in.. once moving at walking speed+++ dump the clutch, it you skid every time, you have a locked engine, if not the engine will turn, and it may catch (ignite...), see how you go and this will determine whether the kickstart gear is shagged, or the whole engine...