General Oil Loss

Guest Strummer

Morning all!

Got my new CBF125 serviced at 600 miles a few weeks ago and they supposedly chenged the oil and filter.

I checked my oil yesterday and and it's on the bare minimum already and I've only done 1300 miles in total. How often would you be expected to top the oil up on a new bike? There's no excessive smoke from the exhaust and I don't screw it so I'm thinking they just the bare minimum in on the service which is a bit bad I reckon!

Cheers

On a new bike you just shouldn't have to top it up. Best advice is to top it up and monitor it for the next few weeks. Check that the filter and oil plug are screwed down properly and look for leaks around them, you never know.

Technically they've not done anything wrong in putting the minimum in, but I agree it is rather naughty!

Morning all!

I checked my oil yesterday and and it's on the bare minimum already and I've only done 1300 miles in total. How often would you be expected to top the oil up on a new bike? There's no excessive smoke from the exhaust and I don't screw it so I'm thinking they just the bare minimum in on the service which is a bit bad I reckon!

Have you made sure that you are checking it in the right way? Your users manual should tell you how to do this, but generally the bike should run for 5 mins, rest for 5 mins, level the bike and check.

If you check it on the side stand or from cold, for example, it would look too low. Sorry if you already know this, but thought it worth a mention just in case :D

Morning all!

Have you made sure that you are checking it in the right way? Your users manual should tell you how to do this, but generally the bike should run for 5 mins, rest for 5 mins, level the bike and check.

If you check it on the side stand or from cold, for example, it would look too low. Sorry if you already know this, but thought it worth a mention just in case :D

Yeh I read the manual, run for 3 mins, leave for 3, reinsert the dipstick and do not screw it in. If I do that there's no oil showing at all, it only shows when I start to screw it in a few turns.

My theory is the oil capacity it 1.1 litre and they only epmtied a 1 litre bottle in there?

I have no oil leak, I keep it in the shed on a big pieve of card.

Yes 10W-30 is the oil. The Castrol bit is just a brand plug, it doesn't have to be them. You're probably right on the 1ltr thing.

Have you tried it on different surfaces? I used to check my oil level in my garage but found out the ground isn't quite level so I now do it on the driveway. Weird but there we go. I'd be inclined to put a bit more oil in to get it to about the halfway mark then monitor the situation.

The way you describe the level means it is below minimum. Put some in before you ride it. Bare in mind it only holds a litre in total so don't go mad. Try a quarter litre and recheck. If it's not there a drop more may be needed. It can cause problems if you over fill. It will cause serious problems if it's low.

I wouldn't leave checking anything on the bike for 700 miles. If the bike was under filled on service it may use more than it normally would. Thus being even lower. Check your oil daily, or every time you ride. Easy with a dipstick. Do it with your pre ride inspections. If it's low put some in. Keep some handy for top ups. It's cheaper to buy a bigger bottle but for the size of your sump a litre should keep you going quite a while. Buy it from the bike shop till you get to know what you're doing. Some car oils although cheaper won't do in a bike. 8-)

Yeh I read the manual, run for 3 mins, leave for 3, reinsert the dipstick and do not screw it in. If I do that there's no oil showing at all, it only shows when I start to screw it in a few turns.

My theory is the oil capacity it 1.1 litre and they only epmtied a 1 litre bottle in there?

I have no oil leak, I keep it in the shed on a big pieve of card.

Check what your manual says about the dipstick. I believe some bikes require it screwed in to read oil level, others don't. Your manual should tell you which.

1.1 litre doesn't sound very much, but if you're right and they under-filled it by 10% then it will need topping up to maintain protection.