Wiring in a Stebel Nautilus horn - help needed...maybe!

Pete

I'm just about to get out of bed and tackle this. I've never installed anything with a relay before but I think I've got it straight in my mind...but I wanted to check first!

I've found these instructions that Horness put up for heated grips on another thread (I changed them to suit the Stebel, not heated grips):

Relay Wiring

Pin 30 -----[use 20A inline fuse]------- Battery Pos Terminal

Pin 85 ------------------------------------ Battery Neg Terminal

Pin 86 ------------------------------------ Live feed source (Pos wire from old horn) when ignition is on

Pin 87 ------------------------------------ Positive feed to Horn (no fuse needed)

Does that look about right? As I understand it I need to obviously connect pins 30 and 85 to the corresponding battery terminals (mine's getting a bit full now, what with wires for heated grips and 12V cigarette lighter socket attached too, and now this!) As for pin 86 am I right in saying that I need to connect the pos wire from the old horn? And 87 just goes straight to the Pos connector on the horn...

...that just leaves the Neg connector on the horn. Would that just be earthed to the frame?

I'm off to Halfords or B&Q or Maplin now in search of some velcro pads, 20A wire and a 20A inline fuse. Give me an engine to take to bits any day, I'm shite with electrics (but will always have a go)! Wish me luck!

It may help to think like this. A relay is just a switch. Instead of flicking it with your finger it is electricaly operated by a button or switch.

A relay is used to switch on an application because the power said application draws is too much for the circuit the switch is on.

So you have two circuits independant of each other. A low power circuit to throw the switch. This switch turns on the high power circuit with the application on it.

Hope that helps 8-)

It may help to think like this. A relay is just a switch. Instead of flicking it with your finger it is electricaly operated by a button or switch.

A relay is used to switch on an application because the power said application draws is too much for the circuit the switch is on.

So you have two circuits independant of each other. A low power circuit to throw the switch. This switch turns on the high power circuit with the application on it.

Hope that helps 8-)

I think I get you Colin, yes that does help (sorry Gary!). I.e. the Pos coming straight from the battery is the high power circuit and the low power circuit in this instance is where the horn switch is (or the circuit that the horn switch is on), and by initiating the low power circuit that in turn tells the relay to initiate the high power circuit which then fires up Bessie to scare old ladies.

I've only just managed to source all the stuff I need! I got ripped off at Halfords where I bought an inline fuse holder (already had a 20A fuse at home) and some circle clip wossit things that go over the Pos terminal on the battery (nearly 8 quid!). Then I went to B&Q to get the rest but they didn't have anything so I went to a local auto parts electrical store who, for the princely sum of £4 sold me 4 metres of 17A cable (he said 15A would be fine for a 20A fuse...I didn't understand how he worked that one out to be honest...) and three packets of spade connectors. I was standing by with the £20 note, couldn't believe it was under a fiver!

Stu, in your example it's exactly the same as on the box...except numbers 86 and 85 are the other way around. I.e. 85 goes to earth and 86 is the Pos feed from the old horn circuit. When I first saw the below image I thought it was wrong, but it's pretty much what's on the back of the Stebel packaging, but number 85 and the Neg side of the horn connector join up in his diagram, they don't on the packaging (same difference).

http://www.modernvespa.com/pix/uploads/mrfubes_stebel_installation_107.jpg

You know when you stare at something for long enough and just do not have the slightest clue, but then suddenly a light bulb switches on and you go "ahhhhhh yeah! That makes sense!"? Well I THINK that's just happened to me! I'll let you know if I'm right later on tonight!!

By the way, what's with all the numbers on the relay? Instead of 30, 86, 85 and 87 why not just have 1, 2, 3 and 4?

By the way, what's with all the numbers on the relay? Instead of 30, 86, 85 and 87 why not just have 1, 2, 3 and 4?

ANSI Device Numbers

In the design of electrical power systems, the ANSI Standard Device Numbers denote what features a protective device supports (such as a relay or circuit breaker). These types of devices protect electrical systems and components from damage when an unwanted event occurs, such as an electrical fault. Device numbers are used to identify the functions of devices shown on a schematic diagram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_Device_Numbers

Cheers Bogof, makes sense now :D

Regarding the Pos + feed from the old horn circuit, would I just take that from where it plugs into the original horn, solder some cable on and run that back to the relay?

use a male spade connector and run a wire from that, that way you can undo and return to normal, the relay should click when you press the horn, (without the stebel connected, might be a quieter way of checking...)

use a male spade connector and run a wire from that, that way you can undo and return to normal, the relay should click when you press the horn, (without the stebel connected, might be a quieter way of checking...)

Frankie, what a fine brain you have! I was considering wiring it all up and leaving it until about 10am tomorrow so I don't wake the neighbour's baby up next door...I don't think I'd've been able to sleep because of all the excitement though so I'm glad you've suggested checking it like that!

after doing my lights and scratching my head as to why they didn't work, i got the relay to click, then got the lights working, i had my wires mixed up, but knew that the relay had to click to be working,

OK it's all temporarily bollocksed! There's no problem with the relay, just mounting the sodding thing. I've been following instructions on twistedthrottle.com and they've been OK until it comes to mounting the sucker (or is that blower?). Anyway the instructions show a fuel injected model (they don't tell you that) and mine is carbed. Where they recommend mounting it is fine for FI bikes, mine has a big bloody oil cooler in the way! So I've now come inside to find out where other people have put theirs. What a shitter.

On a more positive note I've mounted my relay, connected it up to the battery and have gained access to the two horn wires...just need to decide which one is Pos + now...oh and find the earthing point on my frame :D

Right, I told you it was only temporarily bollocksed! Thanks for the links Colin - don't know if the book was a piss take but I might actually get hold of a copy!

In the end I decided to route the Pos + cable all the way up to the front of the bike, connect it to the relay and strip the other end about a cm, twist the wires and jabbed it into one of the old spade connectors from the original horn. I chose the wrong one at first :mrgreen: (not much difference - one was green, the other was dark green!) but there was no drama because I just jabbed it up the other one! I tested the relay as per Frankie's suggestion and at first it did bugger all...but, not wanting to deviate from Frankie's rule I'd got my wire's crossed :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and after swapping a couple over it clicked away merrily when I tapped the horn button. It was 1am when I finally got everything ticketty boo, and not being a total w**ker I didn't want to wake the neighbour's kids (or the neighbours) so have happily downed tools and gone to bed!

Locating it was a problem. As I mentioned before the frontal area was totally no go. In the end I got the tank off and had a look underneath - well, more of a long vacant stare actually - then noticed a shiny bolt that seemed to go into an aluminium thing that two chunky water hoses go into as well. I didn't want to touch that at first, but then noticed two other substantial bolts on the other side so removed my one, got the horn in place and tightened it like a good 'un. It's almost as if it was meant for that spot, fits even better than the suggested one on the FI model, I'm so proud! With the tank on top there's about an inch clearance, and it's not obstructing anything else. The best bit is that there's a bracket that twistedthrottle.com recommend you use to attach it to the bike. It'd work out at about £15 for a poxy L-shaped piece of metal so, ever the industrious cheap skate I went to B&Q, bought one for a quid and drilled and cut it to fit! Another +1 for me lol!

All that's left to do now is get up tomorrow, buy some male spade connectors (I only need one to connect to the original horn's female spade connector on the Pos + cable), test it and chuck all the fairing on. The only thing is that as I was about to lock the garage up I heard a rustling, turned around and at the other end of the garage was...(no, not a ghost)...a mouse! I hope he doesn't eat through all of my fairings and hard work with all the cables...nobber.

I couldn't fit the nautilus in one piece on the Fazer so split the compressor and horn

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee79/7vwh/stuff/CIMG2053.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee79/7vwh/stuff/CIMG2056.jpg

Thanks for the pictures 7vwh, I did consider separating the parts, but in the end I found the perfect location for mine :D

Colin though I do have a multimeter I haven't much of a clue on how to use most of the features on it! I only got it to test my old battery and have since used it about once or twice, but I'm sure it'll be even more useful when I work out how to use it.

I've finished my install. Saying that the Stebel Nautilus horn is "loud" is a massive understatement! I'm sure if I left the thing going for more than five seconds it'd melt me. No longer do I have to worry about being heard at national speed limit when some slumbering punk cuts me up on the motorway 8-)

Thanks again for all the tips and advice guys, you've been a great help as usual :thumb: