Brakes, air and consequences?

skatefreak

My loverly bike, becoming a little less safe each day :)

Long story short the break grip was released with the nipple open (bad timing) and some air crept back through the systen into the break caliper.

The pressure on the grip dissapeared but after a little more draining, air came out and the pressure on the grip returned.

good, good, end of story? I would like to think so but also as this is the main means of stopping a bike i would like to be a little more careful and ask around for a little advice?

Is there any chance some air could be in the system somewhere not effecting the pressure on the grip but could move to somewhere detrimental to the breaking while in use?

It will be playing on my mind if i dont investigate further so any comments con the situation would be great :)

Best regards

-Jvr

if the lever feels spongy you still have air..

if it was at the nipple, and you opened it and squeezed at the lever, you have probably bled the air out..

only one way to know for sure, if you're not happy, re-bleed..

Hey,

Okay, well thats good news kinda :)

It was right at the beginning and i put about half - 2/3'rds of a bottle of brake fluid through the system (apparently it goes off and only needs to be done once every year or two), so figured i may as well put it through (saving some incase needed to get any air out that may be in there.

The resivour was refilled many times and drained through (not letting it drop to low though) and there is plenty of resistence on the grip.

Will wait for the new pads and see how it feels the i guess :)

Cheers for the reply.

best regards

-Jvr

Just be sure that when bleeding the system, on completion that you shut the bleed nipple with the brake lever pulled in - compressed, failing to do so allows the returning lever to create a vacuum sucking air or aerated brake fluid in through the nipple, result a soft spongy lever. Connected to the nipple should be a length of hose; the other end of the hose should at all times be submerged in brake fluid to avoid this happening. But as said, always close the nipple with positive pressure on the brake lever.

Hey chris,

yep, figured that out pretty quick heh.

I think it should be okay, it only sucked air in once and then had 2/3'rds of a bottle of fluid put through it.

There is plenty of pressue behind the grip again though so jst thought i'd check :)

The replies are much appreciated though!

Just one last noobalicious thought though.

When i took the calipers off they had pads on them and when putting the calipers back on without pads, just until they get here i noticed that the calipers feel very lose...

Infact they dont seem to even bolt to the frame and are free to jingle about?!?!

There is a plate that bolts solidly to the front forks and there are two rods that come out of the caliper which go through this plate. A little googling and i'v come accross floating calipers but cant find anything explaining/showing how look so thought i would just ask if it sounds right to anyone?

Am sure they will feel more secure with pads over the disk and there is no way they could slip as they are held in place by these two rods but seriously haha.

Any thoughts much appreciated to :)

-Jvr

Ps, here a few pictures if i can figure out how to upload them!

Photo0759.jpg.15026af3888a4be5ef96775d9fe790c8.jpg

Photo0761.jpg.38320569ce8cc9ae1af7ea1058cb78f8.jpg

Photo0760.jpg.0e593a3ae1bd7b125e552b03bc8cb8cd.jpg

the bolts hold the caliper in position, and the caliper moves on the pins, hence floating, the bolts hold it in the right place on the disc, the floating moves it into contact with the disc... the the pads slide against the pad retaining pins.. once you have it all buttoned up with pads, it will all come together...

I've just fitted my calipers, and master cylinder, will bleed the system at the weekend, if its stops raining.... all been stripped, cleaned, greased and reassembled.. proper job... decided against installing the new pads, as the old ones still have plenty of meat... (but handy for next time, in my tool box...)

Sounds like you did a good thorough job there!

I was thinking of doing so but both pistons operate nice and smooth and if i decide to keep this bike later on after my full test i'll no doubt do a proper job :)

Although that being said, the calipers could certainly do with a bit of a scrub down which i might do on friday :)

I'll have a look arund and see if i can find a bolt that will fit on the end of that *bit* and see if it makes any difference. There wasnt 1 on there before :shock:

cheers for the heads up on the calipers though :D

-Jvr