Choke question

cypek

Hi everyone. I have managed to sort my cutting off problem and my bike is running fine now :mrgreen: Question I have now is what may be wrong with choke? My bike won't start without adding some revs but with it starts first time and without any problem (when cold and choke on). I can live with it but its just a little annoying. There is a lot of free play on my choke switch like 35-40%. Not sure is it normal? Also, when I start my bike with choke on after about 30sec - 1 min I can switch it off and when doing it revs are shooting up??? When I had my air filter box off I have seen choke is closing air intake as it should but I think revs should increase as well, right? What may be the reason of this and possible solution? I am pretty sure there arent any more screws on my carb I can play with :?

Thanks for any advice :cheers:

You sure you got the chock properly connected?

I'll explain what i do (im sure more useful people will be along soon anyway)

Full choke to start the bike- especially if cold. Just starts, then rises to about 2k, then eventually rises to about 4k if i leave it abit longer.

Then what i do is take it down to about 50%, then revs will die down with it (to lower than what it would be) then slightly rises again when its "settled down".

Then ill knock it off a bit more, then the revs will rop to below normal, then rise up to what it should be once its settled down.

By normal i mean, full choke may be 4k rpm, but below normal may be 2k rpm.

Hope this helped?

I am not sure if its connected properly but I know it works in some way. Like I said when its cold I can only start my bike with choke on. The way it works on my bike is this:

I start the bike with full choke (but also I need to keep revs up by twisting grip)

After 30sec - 1min (depends on temp) I can switch it off and after another 30sec - 1min I can release grip and bike wont cut off

There is no other position than "full on" or "off" on my choke as I feel. When I move lever by 5mm from "full on" position, revs are going up a bit and there is no difference at all if I move it to "full off" or back to "95% on".

Lol I hope you understand my descriptions, I am still having some holes in my english vocabulary :oops:

And don't get me wrong, it isn't really some big issue. It would be just nice if I could pull a choke, then start my bike while putting on my helmet and gloves.So is it some carb fault? Can it be adjusted? Should I just get a carb from original CB125? Any other thoughts would be appreciated :)

To me it sounds like a choke issue its self? But then again i wouldnt take my word for it :lol: Someone should be along soon with better advice!

Also, have you got a haynes manual? if not i recommend you get one! Very helpful!

Hi everyone. I have managed to sort my cutting off problem and my bike is running fine now :mrgreen: Question I have now is what may be wrong with choke? My bike won't start without adding some revs but with it starts first time and without any problem (when cold and choke on). I can live with it but its just a little annoying. There is a lot of free play on my choke switch like 35-40%. Not sure is it normal? Also, when I start my bike with choke on after about 30sec - 1 min I can switch it off and when doing it revs are shooting up??? When I had my air filter box off I have seen choke is closing air intake as it should but I think revs should increase as well, right? What may be the reason of this and possible solution? I am pretty sure there arent any more screws on my carb I can play with :?

Thanks for any advice :cheers:

let me clarify.

when the choke is on the revs increase... This is normal. some bikes allow for adjustment, but my old katana was either on or off..

leave it running for a short while, and then knock it off, if the bike stops then it needs longer on the choke.

If its a chinese scooter, then haynes do a generic manual,. if not then one off the model that was copied should be a good base.

I don't know what bike you have just that it is a chinese CB125, as you haven't said, so i can't be more help.

but hope you get sorted..

let me clarify.

when the choke is on the revs increase...

Thats the problem, they doesnt increase. I need to twist a grip to hold the revs up. They increase when I switch choke off :?

If its a chinese scooter, then haynes do a generic manual,. if not then one off the model that was copied should be a good base.

I don't know what bike you have just that it is a chinese CB125, as you haven't said, so i can't be more help.

but hope you get sorted..

Bike is Kaisar 125-23, body is a copy of CBR125 and engine is a copy of CB125

Edited by cypek

Looks like all is fine :mrgreen:

Found with my friend Google:

Choke Design

Starting a Honda CG125 and not being able to idle with the choke on is totally different to most other makes and models of motorcycle.

It's because the choke is very primitive.

Nearly all chokes (except the Honda CG125 one) increase the idle speed when they are switched on.

Because the Honda CG125 does not increase the idle speed, you have to do it manually by opening the throttle slightly.

All engines need both choke and the idle speed increased in order to work (when engine is to cold to work without choke).

So the Honda CG125 needs the throttle held open slightly and only then can you start the bike (while its open).

Other makes and models of motorcycle would only start if the throttle is closed (if it was open you would flood the engine).

Sometimes the Honda CG125 might require the throttle closed to start the engine (but the second it starts you must open the throttle).

This will only happen after at least one un successful start with the throttle slightly open, this is because there would be some un burnt fuel in the engine.

Thanks everyone :mrgreen: