Test in 3 weeks......When do i perform observations?

Guest ironbunnyz

Hi

This is my 1st time posting on this site, so please go easy on me!

I have my test in 3 weeks and am wondering when to perform observations?

I know that (say you want to turn right in a street) you would check your mirrors,Right Shoulder check, indicator then right shoulder check and in.

But what about when on a dual carridge way? Is it the same procedure?

Have already spent £500 on lessons and don't want to spend more if any of you guys/girls know the answer?

If in doubt, look about :)

Seriously, check mirrors regularly, do a shoulder check whenever you change position in the road, change lanes, set off, or take a corner e.t.c...

E.G. - for a corner;

Always - mirror, indicate, life saver, position yourself, life saver, make the turn.

On a dual carriage way for changing lanes (or changing lanes on motorway, same thing);

Mirror, indicate, shoulder check, change lane.

Aaaahhhhh thankyou for the quick reply i will get out onthe road and practice (own a 125 so will practice regularly)!

Test is onthe 9th April 2010 sovwill say how i got on, as dual carridgeway was the only bit i am absolutely aweful at.

Cheers again for the reply!!

Thinking the same,

You must reread your post again,

if you have paid £500 on training :?

Your not sure on observation procedure !!!!,

No1.

sack your Instructor:

No2.

Sack your Instructor :!:

+1 to this, observations was all my instructor could say i think but it worked.

also well done for having the courage to ask the question, it is a basic thing but its always good to ask if your unsure. good luck with the test :thumb:

you must be aware of your surroundings at all times (to be as safe you can be) the only way that is going to happen is when you make lots of obs. When your riding is interupted by road conditions/lights/braking etc etc forward planning all contributes to it. If you think to yourself i havent done an ob for a while your already to late be aware of everything around you then you will have done enough you are riding for yourself so theres only you watching for YOU other drivers dont care about YOU so keep your eye out

No i'm serious. £500. To be fair though i do have 2 days left of my training and the instructor has told me a few times. The thing is i keep forgetting when to do them, i have been driving on a 125 for two years and have built up sssooo many bad habits that i think he was probabily concentrating on that.

Anyway, now i know, i think the rest of my driving is pretty much up to scratch. It's just that i did'nt want to be marked down for performing observations at the wrong time. I always perform life saver checks but i did'nt wan't to over do them and fail for checking too much.

Thanks for the replies though guys, it all helps!!

Turning: mirror -> signal -> blind spot(shoulder) check -> move to that side of the road (if it's wide enough for you + cars to continue past) -> 2 seconds before the turn do a lifesaver (a big look) -> make the turn -> cancel your signal -> accelerate up to speed out of the danger zone -> check your mirrors.

At roundabouts: turning left or right - as above. Another look before you exit for a right hander.

Going straight over, do a lifesaver to whichever side the other lane is (usually to the right unless the left lane is left turn only) when entering and before leaving (to make sure noone is cutting straight over the roundabout instead of going around it and will cut you up).

I typically checked both sides, but id rather get a minor for too much than a fail for missing more than 3 required ones.

Mirrors fairly regularly in general. Move your head, not just your eyes, so he can see it. Check them very regularly on the dual carriageway as cars will be doing 100mph at times.

Check your mirrors when approaching something that could cause you to slow or stop, like traffic, or a pedestrian crossing, etc. The idea being if you see a huge truck with it's tyres smoking, screaming up behind you, you might decide to ditch your ride, or mount the pavement, or something :D

do not miss a right turn lifesaver that is a major fault, always turn your head to check mirrors to be aware of trafffic behind you every 15 seconds or so and check at least twice before a junction what ever way you are turning

When you are on your test talk to yourself out loud.

Talk yourself through EVERYTHING you are approaching telling yourself what to do.

If your instructor was any good he/she would have been telling you these things as you rode along so now tell yourself the same things.

Not only will it help you relax and it will make the test go quicker.

Try it on your own bike,it works!!

• 3 weeks later...
When you are on your test talk to yourself out loud.

Talk yourself through EVERYTHING you are approaching telling yourself what to do.

If your instructor was any good he/she would have been telling you these things as you rode along so now tell yourself the same things.

Not only will it help you relax and it will make the test go quicker.

Try it on your own bike,it works!!

Excellent idea