Sv650 Problems!

Guest Chris92

Right, after battery problems a while back, i thought i couldnt get the bike to start due to a dud battery. Well today i installed a fresh battery, fully charged and i still couldnt get the engine to crank over!

So after a while of fiddling, and a few unsuccessful bump starts/ trying to free the engine, i then managed to get the start motor running. It was running and running and nothing :?

So after a little while and another attempt, i heard it very very lightly fire but nothing happened. After a twist of the throttle there was life! But it idled very weak, but seemd to be better when i rev it abit.

So gave a quickie round the block, and i managed to stall it setting off due to such a weak idle (around 1-1.3k revs)

Now it wont even idle, it just dies unelss i hold the throttle. It also doesn't seem to have the kick it used to when accelerating :(

Got it in the garage and up on the abba stand, and there is a dreaded knocking sound comming (seemingly) from the back cylinder, closet to the seat...

Now im not sure of the problem. I was hopeing it was just crap spark plugs, but then i heard the knocking sound!

So, any ideas as to what it could be?? Im a bit short of cash so im reluctant to take it to a mechanic unless it really needs it..

thanks for any help.

:crybaby:

EDIT: forgot to mention, there (was) is a slight fuel leak too! I think tis stopped now, and i cant see any drips....

sounds like the rear cylinder isn't sparking, so your firing on one cylinder

could be plug, or coil

remove the plug to see its wet, if so its getting fuel...

if the plugs not firing, you know how to check?

then the other cylinder is and the engine is dragging it through the cycle hence the dreaded knocking sound.

Well they seemed alright... sparked.

Guy who came to fix the boiler, also rides motorbikes and was a mechanic (and ex military) helped me and said that the plugs are fine and that because we cant even crank the engine over (nor by push start either) that it could be something more serious, like a conrod gone etc

Looks like im phoning the place i got it from.... 5 months, is it in gurantee or not??

Depends really! Some places offer a 12 month guaruntee, some offer 6 month... Most offer 3 month though.

Check it out!

Assuming its a used bike?

Yes, cobbz, its used.

And thats what i thought, a 3 month warrenty :/ :crybaby:

if it was ok when you parked it up before the winter, odds are it will be something silly. The knocking noise does concern me though. I take it you have ent ran the bike up over the winter ?

Yeah m8 it hasnt been left for more than about a week. The problem has only started since last sunday, when the battery couldnt turn over the engine very well. Then was left from monday to today.

Now im not sure of the problem. I was hopeing it was just crap spark plugs, but then i heard the knocking sound!

Sounds like you've got a Leprechaun inside it to me.

:tumble:

:stupid:

No, not tumble weed a Leprechaun. Tumble weed would make no noise. Leprechaun would!

http://www.bitchdujour.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/leprechaun.jpg

Can we please keep threads on topic in this section please as posters will see a reply only to find that its just rubbish! Am sure there's some small corner of the forum somewhere for you to relieve yourselves!

Thanks

how long has it been sat before you tried staring it again :?

you might have a partial blockage in the carbs i think yours is on carbs anyway :?

Hadn't been sitting long at all.

But the thing is i cant crank the engine over at all, even when trying to push start it. But i has updates

Turns out that my plumber knows a guy who bought the bike before me, and took it back a day or so later because it dumped all its oil mid ride :? Might just see what they say when i ask if its had any previous problems, as i wasn't aware of this at all.

EDIT: Its also leeking fuel. :?

get back to the shop with it (on a trailer!!!) everything second hand comes with a 6 month warrenty by law ;-)

its either hydro locked or seized up

odd if its seized up as it would have done that while riding not sat still!!! could have even dropped a valve jamming the piston up!!

Check for a leprechaun / small man in the engine. That is what happened with my car, there was one in the boot that kept clanging.

Im with tobby check for a leprechaun