Help! Bike won't start problem...

Guest Kawasaki_Vince

Hi there, I can finally start riding my ZXR! But now the engine won't start :crybaby:

It's not the battery, I took it out and charged it last night so it's fine. I turned it on today and all the lights etc. work. I pushed the starter and the engine doesn't start.

I tried going down a small hill and put it in first and when I let out the clutch I got a small grunt but that's it. Wasn't sure if it's better to start it in 2nd when push starting though, think it will make a difference?

It has been standing for about one and half - two months so is it maybe I need to just try more often? The choke doesn't help either btw.

So what can be the problem? I really want to get out there!

Thanks for any help...

I didn't realize what that switch is for, the big red one... I set it to on because otherwise nothing happens at all. When I press the starter it does make the connection just the engine doesn't start. Should turn the killswitch to off when I leave the bike and to on when I start the bike? Or can I just leave it on always?

I will try 2nd or 3rd tomorrow then, hopefully that does it.

Yeah, I read if the car is running you gonna blow up the battery, not a great idea.

Another thing, after just a few minutes of trying to get it started, the battery is flat again. Is it supposed to go so quickly? Or do I need a new battery? it is fairly old...

Ok, thanks for the info, I will try to push start it in 2nd or 3rd gear tomorrow, and if that doesn't work I will try jump starting from the car. And I will anyway have to go get a new battery soon... I hope that is the problem though, and not something more costly!