ARGH!! Allen bolts snapped....

Dale.

Hi, re my topic yesterday about panniers i decided on getting throw over panniers, well today i tryed to take one bolt out so i can remove my pillion seat (there is 2 but the other head has been snapped off, not by me i should add) I got my allen key out and turned *snap!!!!* so now both my bolts are snapped, so now my pillion seat isn't being held on with nothing now, just used a tie wrap at the moment, i've tryed to drill one out and no matter what drill bit or size i use it will not drill....I've tryed to cut a slot in the other and it won't budge i've tryed to shock it and wd 40 it but nothing. Is there anything you recommend or should i just get it looked at when it's in the garage?

let the garage sort it dale..... bloody hell lad your more useless than me and thats bad :mrgreen:

message for the mods.............

this message is not meant to offend or cause upset to dale in anyway whatsoever :up: :D

Edited by Anonymous

Someone may correct me but I think you need to use a tap n die or something like that!

You tap a thing into the snapped bolt and then screw it out.... sorry erm.... anybody??? HELP! :stupid: ( I AM)

AND I STUDIED LEVEL 1 IN BIKE MECHANICS ASWELL! :oops:

Edited by Anonymous

let the garage sort it dale..... bloody hell lad your more useless than me and thats bad :mrgreen:

My dad will hand me on the wall if i tell him about them.....Guess who's taking it into the garage....Him!!!

Oh well, not my fault however he may be a pit annoyed at my poor attempts of sawing.

the screw holding my pillion seat on was a right knut to get out too, an intruder so same design for holding the seat on! I just spentan hour just getting one screw out, little pressure, little tap with a hammer, little squirt of WD40 and repeat.....

don't take it to a garage tho, get yourself a tap and die kit from a tool shop and a harder small drill bit, tell the person you buy it off what its for so you can get one that'll drill through a screw! might take a good few hours but it'll save you money and hopefully a get you out of a bollocking from you dad!!!

can you see the bolt on the underside of the mudguard, might be easier to go from inside than damage the paint work...

get some spray from halfords for rusty bolts,

the screw holding my pillion seat on was a right knut to get out too, an intruder so same design for holding the seat on! I just spentan hour just getting one screw out, little pressure, little tap with a hammer, little squirt of WD40 and repeat.....

don't take it to a garage tho, get yourself a tap and die kit from a tool shop and a harder small drill bit, tell the person you buy it off what its for so you can get one that'll drill through a screw! might take a good few hours but it'll save you money and hopefully a get you out of a bollocking from you dad!!!

Hi mate cheers, i only said the garage option because it's going in for service and mot on the 9th.

WF, No i can't plus if i could it would be a royal pita because the mudgaurd being so low it's hard to get my fat hand up there.

i'm at work tomorrow so will problys nip across to halfords for some stuff like you suggested....

WF, No i can't plus if i could it would be a royal pita because the mudgaurd being so low it's hard to get my fat hand up there.

i'm at work tomorrow so will problys nip across to halfords for some stuff like you suggested....

you not heard of removing the wheel....

you not heard of removing the wheel....

Way to over the top to get 2 bolts out isn't it.....Not something i'm willing todo and don't have the tools either.

take it to a garage, with a lack of tools and workshop experience you will do more harm than good, sorry.

That's fine i understand what you mean, i wish i had more luck with bikes though...

Depending on access to it, can you not buy an 'easy out' set and try that (google it) ? Or otherwise yeah, let the garage sort it for you.

Or a metal punch and tap it round with a hammer usually works too, but takes time.

Are the drill bits good quality or cheapy Ebay type drill bits ? Only ask because a decent set of drill bits should drill it out no probs too.

get your old man, drop the rear wheel and remove the bolts from inside, its likely that ifs missing one he did it so wil understand,

asking for help is not a weakness, sometimes its the best tool in the box....

yes, you may get jibed for it, but hey, at least you'll be riding again...

Jibed ... leg pulled...

• 2 weeks later...

You need a stud extractor, you first centre punch the centre of the snapped bolt then drill with a decent drill. The stud extractor screws in left handed and unscrews the snapped stud at the same time. You should be able to pick up a set for about a tenner and they'll have instructions with them.