Kevlar Jeans vs. Leather Jeans?

i think it all comes down to personal preference really, both have to be made to safety standards so. . .

i'm a leathers girl :)

but as far as i know they both do the same job of savin yur but cheeks when yu hit the road lmao

Guest philgale

bare in mind they only have kevlar on the arse and knees the rest is just jeans which will wear through just a lot slower than normal jeans...

personally leather is better, but i will be getting a pair of draggin jeans (or similar) to use in summer.

bare in mind they only have kevlar on the arse and knees the rest is just jeans which will wear through just a lot slower than normal jeans...

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/html/para_-_aramid.html

More than just bum and knees in the case of Hood, combined with proper boots i'd say everything is covered bar a small area above the boot, below the kevlar, at the top of back of the calves.

Leather = splint. Holding in blood as well as bones. You don't get a splint with textiles/kevlars.

Also weather-resistance is present with leathers, next to none with denim (which stays wet for a while too). Obviously textiles beat both of these hands down here.

My impression of abrasion resistance with kevlars is that they are more than good enough. And the faff factor is hugely reduced (especially in the case of multiple journies in one day).

Edited by Ingah

i think it all comes down to personal preference really, both have to be made to safety standards so. . .

i'm a leathers girl :)

but as far as i know they both do the same job of savin yur but cheeks when yu hit the road lmao

I was under the impression that no kind of trousers had to be made to any official safety standards? Maybe i'm wrong.

Anyway, surely kevlar jeans are nothing compared to decent leather? If i'm underestimating the kevlar then i'm gonna go out and buy me some!

I would say it depends on your definition of "better" as they both have good points and bad points.

For example, i would say leathers offer the best protection (well they feel more robust anyway) whereas kevlar/textile stuff is more practical (more comfortable, possibly waterproof, could pass as normal jeans if required etc). It's also usually cheaper than leathers.

I have both.

Hi Alison, I wear both depending on where I am riding, long journeys I wear leathers or textiles if it is really chucking it down but around town on sunny days I wear draggin jeans as they are just so much more practical, downside is no fitted armour which as they are cut baggy would probably not be very effective in an off anyway but I have had a small off wearing them and just got a bit of friction burn through the material, the jeans didn't suffer at all though, I am pretty sure normal jeans would have just ripped and I would have had more rash from road contact, but if I had been wearing leathers I probably wouldn't have had any rash at all.

Does anyone with the draggin jeans recommend the hip armour? I fancy getting a pair, but dont really want to wait for a pocket to be stitched in as it delays the order by a couple of weeks apparently, and could do with them before then. :)

Didn't know they did hip armour pockets so haven't got that on my jeans but it is the area that you are going to probably hit the road hardest with so makes sense to have it if you can.

Ive got em, mine came with velcro sticky things for the knee pads and the hip protectors and the just stick on, the hip ones don't feel the most secure nd may move about in a nasty off but the knee ones feel nice and secure.

As far as Draggin VS Leather, I thing leather is still better. Iknow you cant wear Draggin on a track but maybe thats just an old rule that needs to be changed or maybe its because at more than 100mph kevlar jeans just aren't as good?

I came off today in my redroute jeans at 30-40mph, maybe a bit less as I'd been braking sharply. I scraped the shoulder and elbow of my jacket noticably and was able to roll with the fall but there's no apparent damage to the jeans despite there being some on the jacket. Boots have scraped up and need replacing though.

I've got a pair of Draggin Kevlar jeans, I came off at 30 and the bottom where there is no kevlar ripped like a normal jean, since then i only wear the kevlar if i'm going round town and know i wont be doing more than 30/40 otherwise leather everytime.