speedo cable query :)

KSmith

bit of a random question, maybe one some of yu may think silly or obvious but i dont know so what can cause a speedo cable to snap?

i was gong round a corner today an my pin went to 0mph

needless to say i was rather confused so i checked the cable when i got home to find out it had snapped :?

just wondered what causes them to do so :)

the cable spins at numerous RPM, lack of maintenance and age will cause the metal rope inside to wear and snap, simple enough to replace, just give it a good oiling before fitting..

a cable oiler makes the job less messy and can be picked up for a few quid, and DONT Use WD40, use a good 3 in 1 oil or engine oil..

no problem, its what i'm here for, make sure you line up the blade and fork before you tighten it all up.. also check the the blade spins when you turn the wheel...

(blade - the flat bit)

(fork - the two prong slot)

Karen, why dont we see u on chat or generally around much anymore? We miss ya! :cheers:

it's cuz i'm always out and about on my bike :mrgreen: ah the freedom!!

so i'm hardly ever on my laptop

nice to know yu miss me tho lol

a cable oiler makes the job less messy and can be picked up for a few quid, and DONT Use WD40, use a good 3 in 1 oil or engine oil..

My haynes manual says to use a high temperature grease rather than oil. Also to stop short of the top to prevent any getting in the sensitive measuring device.