Bike not starting, Help please.

fli2008

My 2000 Honda CLR isnt starting, it just makes a clicking noise, one single click, i though it might have been the battery so i took it out and tested it on the battery charger, it shows as green, while i was taking out the battery i noticed a fuse on the box behind the battery where the terminals lead from, could the fuse be causing this or is it just a bad battery? all was well 4 days ago, started having trouble yesterday, thanks.

check the starter solinoid follow the red wire from the battery to the unit where it joins up to the wire leading to starter motor give it a tap with somethng fairly chunky.......big spanner will do press starter button as u do this as unit might be faulty

Also forgot too mention that it did start yesterday, with the starter after a few clicks, took it for a run and it cut out, had to bump start it after pushing it up a huge hill :( , if it is a new unit how much would we be talking?

just tried your suggestion east anglian, and it still didnt start, just changed the fuse, on the box where the terminals comes from, still makes no difference? worth buying a new battery?

just been an had another look, tested all the electrics, and realised that everything works apart from front right indicator, and the brake light doesnt work when i pull the front brake ( works with rear break ) something else that is quite strange is that when i put on the indicators theres a strange clicking/ticking noise for about a second before they come on? anybody got any ideas? Im hoping its battery.

yeah the indicators and light works without the engine running, got a funny feeling it might be solenoid, but the bike did turn over yesterday but i didnt have the choke on, so i let go of the starter and this started happening, which leads me to believe it is the battery, also after a short ride yesterday it cut out, i press the starter it worked but sounded like the battery was struggling to start the bike, i could hear it trying but it sounded like it was struggling, however it did run fine after a bump start.

next time it dooes this to you use a spanner or screwdriver across the 2 big terminals on the solinoid the wire from batery and the one going to starter motor it will spark but if engine turns over and starts then its the solinoid thats the problem

easist way to make sure you are looking at the right part is follow the right lead from battery and it will connect directly to the solinoid normally by a 10mm nut holding it onto it then there will be another big wire held on by a 10mm nut going to starter motor it is across those two nuts that u ned to put screwdriver it will spark and engine should turn over if u hold it on for a second or two

if youre trying to hotwire it, which is what it sound like, then bridging the relay should spin the starter, but that is only if you have power to the relay, as you arent getting a spark when bridging it i'd suggest either your doing it wrong, or the main fuse has blown.

i really dont have a clue when it comes to crossing the terminals, i tried doing what anglian said, i did manage to get a spark, but it is only now and again, it doesnt happen everytime i try to cross them if that makes sense, there is a fuse on the solenoid which seems fine, is there ay other fuse that could be causing this problem.

take a large screwdriver and bridge the teminals, you should hear the starter spin, if not its most likely buggered,

sound like you are getting power to the wires to get a spark.

Yep looks like starter motor has gone, i cant see how though all was fine a few days before??? any way it can be fixed? ( and do you know what starter motors will fit this? like will a cg fit? )

Yep looks like starter motor has gone, i cant see how though all was fine a few days before??? any way it can be fixed? ( and do you know what starter motors will fit this? like will a cg fit? )

hondas not my specialty, suzukis are, but give david silver spares a google and call, they may be able to assist.

that would be about right for a new starter motor i would still think it might not be the starter motor itself if you can see the wire connecting to the starter motor you can connect a heavy duty lead like a jump lead direct from the positive side of the battery onto the union on starter motor if it doesnt turn over then its battery or starter motor if it does turn over then its the solinoid thats faullty