loose pilot jet after "backing off" the screws

chrisgatguis

hi,

My GSXF600 has never started well since i've had it - i haven't really been on it that much and its an old bike so thought i'd clean the carbs out.

I've noticed that the pilot jets were fully screwed in when in the haynes it says they should be 'unscrewed' 2 1/4 turns...

I think this may be adding to my poor starting problems so i've unscrewed them a couple of turns.

my question is, should the jet be quite loose when you've backed it off? its pretty damn easy to turn with a screw driver - i suppose from a 'screw' point of view this is what i'd expect because its not tightened up - but just wonder if it will loosen / tighten over time?

anyone else noticed this before - anything to worry about?

thankkksss

chris

Shouldn't do - i know what you mean about them feeling "loose" but they shouldn't move on their own once set.

I had 2 of the 4 screwed all the way in on my ZX6R and an American guy i know had all 4 of his screwed in (plus they have the caps over their's to stop you easily changing them) - i wonder how many bikes out there aren't running correctly just from the factory...

Sorry, no i meant they were like that when i checked them and i turned them out to the correct amount (like you've done).

I always get them mixed up but i think turning out richens (more fuel) on a 4-stroke.

PS i've just had a horrible thought. You talking about the screws aren't you (as opposed to the actual jet? :shock: )

i take you mean the mixture screw on the outside of each carb and not the one up in the float bowl basic set up for mixture screw is normally 1 3/4 to 2 turns out the adjust as needs be from there sounds like the bike would also benefit from having the carbs balanced using correct vaccuum gauges by a dealer

:oops:

you know that feeling when your reading something on the forum and all of a sudden your heart goes about 200 bpm and you quickly leap for the Haynes manual?

yup - was me being an idiot... i wouldn't care i've done this before but just read the manual wrong....

:oops: :oops:

I was in deed getting confused between the jet and the screw.... I did actually start the bike up with loose pilot jets X 4 when i was trying to balance the carbs... n theres me wondering why i couldn't get them to balance...

Started much better even like that!

glad i never went for a ride or anything... hahaha

that would have been a disaster..

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!