CBT- pass/fail

Guest Louroe

I went for my cbt a couple of days back and I was with two other guys . i got the hang of the stopping starting , emergency stops using front and back break and turning but they only gave us a hour and half of training before heading off onto the road. I was doing everything slower because i found it hard to get the bike off the centre stand and therefore was behind as a women i would only probabley be using the side stand. i could do the figure of eight and the cone line and could do it with speed and with the slow control. i know that i was not ready to go on the road with the other guys and know where i went wrong but i still think because there was two instructors that i should have gone on the road at some point in that day. but because the other two guys went out on the road because one was on a scooter and the other had done the cbt previous i was left riding round a carpark for the full day needing to pay £50 when i next retake it asap. At the end of the day he said i was ready to go on the road but i got annoyed because the instructor spent some of the time talking to friends and one of them came onto the course with a bikini on taking the mic UNPROFFESSIONAL needless to say. I am now training up on my bfs motorbike. I was not happy on the day because i was pretty much left to my own devices driving round a carpark for six hours. I dont feel like i have really failed just that i needed more time and if the full course would have been on that day i would have been on the road there and then.

it's quite shocking you had that issue, when I did my CBT i was with 2 other guys who had ridden before but i never had, the instructor told not to care about the others and just concentrate on what i was doing and getting it write.

The CBT should only last 1 day with about half the day spent riding and practising off the road. It may be worth trying another riding school.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I would report it to the company owner who runs the CBT's, clearly wasnt doing his job properly. If he is the owner, than am sure he will soon forget about charging you for the extra training if you mention going to trading standards :-)

What is the ratio of instructor to pupil ?

I thought it was 1 - 2 when I did my CBT I was told this but may be wrong

It has to be 1:2 on the road, but in the training pen I think it can be more. Common sense would dictate that it shouldn't be any more than 3 or 4 though...

Only just seen this, I'd be bloody livid!!

Complain, might not get you anywhere, but complain all the same. Sounds bloody awful. I'd be going somewhere else too.

Sorry to hear of your experience, it gets better you know :D

i am using the same company but once they hand me the certificate i am going to complain about it if the same happens this weekend because its not on but only once ive got my certificate. i am only using them because they have cut it down to £50, at the time my bf wanted to complain but i wouldnt let him because i was so angry and didnt want to embarass myself by crying instead i just let it all out when i got home. The guy also kept telling me to keep smiling i was like i want to punch your lights out or atleast run over you atm!

i have been on my boyfriends bike all this week on a quiet country road so i reckon i will be fine :lol: for this saturday if i still fail there will be some complaining going on! because not once have i dropped the bike or gone into anyone or anything on the course. Wish me luck ;) i will need it with them instructors! :roll:

i was fine when i got onto the road my biggest mistake was stalling half way round a dual carriageway roundabout :( set off in third because i couldnt hear the instructor on the mic and i was leading so i had to shout to him what his instructions was so i forgot to check the gear and then i panicked! first time on the road so i think i did pretty well cant believe the first time i stalled on the ride out was on a roundabout i was kicking myself! but i was panicking because i dont like leading. so i failed again but considering that it was my first time ever on the road heading onto a national speed limit road i think i did quite well.

managed really well when i was following the other learner and the instructor but i tended to be extra cautious with the giveways but really who does want to have to pay for the bike breakages if you drop the bike or if someone goes into you when its your fault not me! Alsong as im not holding anyone up i cant see his problem because im being safe!

o well there is always next time but i dont think one day is enough to feel confident on the road well not for me anyways, so ive told my bf if i do pass hes coming everywhere with me for the first couple of weeks just so i know im the one in control. :|