Mike Penning MOD1 review

Guest phil kruman

Mike Penning MP is to review the MOD1 test and has invited views from the community to be submitted by the end of the month to http://www.mikepenning.com

I know we will all have our own views on the test ranging from scrap it through to 'its OK'.

But with the near fatal crash a week ago and the crash at the Cambs DSA site three weeks earlier it may be time for you to voice your views to the transport minister.

As an example, here are my views which may or may not be the same as yours. If not, the government needs to hear about them before they close the debate.

Hi Mike,

I have read with interest your idea to allow parts of the MOD1 to be performed on the road.

I agree in theory that performing parts of the test which a require 50kph (31.7mph) speed requirement on a long road could make it easier for learner riders to complete the test.

IN THEORY -

I say in theory because a move to allow the avoidance and the emergency stop to be performed on the road could cause more problems than it cures.

When the emergency stop was performed on the road as part of the old motorbike test, a minimum speed requirement was not required which meant students were not concentrating on getting their bike up to speed before the required stop. If a student was seen to be getting up to an acceptable speed which could have been as low as 20mph the examiner would perform the emergency stop signal and allow the student to complete the exercise.

There were still accidents with this method of testing, but they were mostly at a lower speed.

Add an on road avoidance test into the mix where the student has to think about getting up to speed, performing a swerve followed by a stop in a designated area it is easy to see how they can get into trouble very quickly.

This is too much for a learner to think about even in an off road environment so accidents will still happen with potentially fatal consequences.

Fatal? why?

A 20mph old style emergency stop on the road was a reasonably safe excercise. The student had to think about the stop and nothing else.

A 32mph (or faster as most students will do at least 35mph to pass the speed requirement)

stop or swerve could turn a motorbike into a missile if the student gets it wrong.

At best the uncontrollable motorbike will hit other vehicles both parked or moving and cause thousands of pounds of damage to innocent publics property.

At worst, the out of control motorbike and rider will end up under the wheels of a passing car or the bike itself will hit pedestrians on the pavements or in their own front gardens.

Remember the out of control bike will be traveling at 44 feet per second. That’s a 130kg (125cc bike) traveling uncontrolled for at least 2 seconds at a distance of 88 feet.

If this bike hits a person it could kill them.

The first on road injury or death would kill off what is left of the UKs motorcycle industry.

Other options.

The first option could be the lowering of the current MOD 1 speed requirement to 20 mph and perform the test on a DSA site.

The second option would be to remove the 'stop' part of the avoidance test and allow the student to brake gently after the swerve.

At the end of the DSA pad, install F1/motoGP style inflatable barriers at the end of the course to catch any 'overruns' to minimise injury. A METAL fence is not good enough and would not be allowed even in the smallest of 'club circuits' let alone a test site.

The third option would be to re-write the MOD1 test to make it safer or to extend the run off area on the DSA sites.

For example.

Manual handling - AS IS

Slalom and Figure eight - AS IS

Slow ride - This should be be turned into a 10 mtr slow ride at walking pace and then a stop with foot down. Followed by a 10 mrt slow ride at walking pace. This is to simulate stop start traffic.

Avoidance - This should be an avoidance only situation, followed by a slow down and an on the move u-turn (as performed in the USA) near the end of the area protected by a air barrier.

This takes away the enforced stop situation and the student can brake normally and then ride the bike around a large arc which will slow him/her before stopping from a slow speed.

The Emergency stop. This should be performed in a safe environment with an air barrier at the end of the site and realistically at a slower minimum speed.

The DSA should also provide protective equipment for students to perform all elements of the MOD 1. This includes, a jacket fitted with a neck airbag and knox amour in the elbows, back and shoulders.

Trousers fitted with KNOX amour in the knees, shins and hips.

Helmets do not need to be provided as the school will provide them .

If there is an accident on the MOD1 test, the air barrier combined with armored clothing will reduce injury and death.

The cost for the clothing will probably run to £4000 a year to cover all the health and safety requirements for the site. The air barrier at the end of the high speed testing area will be more expensive but should not prove prohibitive as it could save a students life.

What the DSA has forgotten is that a 130kg machine (125) or a 200kg machine (500) can cause broken bones and abrasion damage to a person if dropped at 5mph let alone 32 mph +

I am amazed in these times of health and safety the DSA was allowed to build these centers without providing protection to metal fences such as air barriers or also being forced to provide the best protective clothing to its students.

In Summary .

1. Remove the speed requirement

2. Remove the enforced stop at the end of the avoidance test

3. Provide Air barriers at the end of the high speed test run.

4. Provide protective clothing

5. Re-structure the MOD1 test

6. DO NOT take this test out onto the public road. You are asking for trouble and may cause the death of a member of the public or the rider.

Regards

Phil Kruman

Dear Mike

Do you ride a motorcycle. If so is it for commuting, Touring or for fun days out.

How much Experience do you have riding a Motorcycle to help you to make these important decisions.

have you taken the new type test to see for yourself what needs changing.

Thanks

TBF that's why he's doing a consultation. His job is to manage the review and take on board as much expert opinion as he can get before making a informed judgement. I don't think any MP has any qualifications for the job there doing, look at how they get moved around between departments.

Although Vince Cable the business secretary is an economist.

Any how, here's my message.

Leave the test as it is, there's nothing wrong with it. If someone can't pass that then they are not fit for the road, and it would be irresponsible to give them a licence.

Separating the swerve and stop exercise is pointless. You can roll of the throttle, do the swerve and come to a stop without barely touching the brake.

The problem is people trying to skimp on the training to save money, attempting the test when they just aren't good enough. How about a review into these get you test in x days courses. There needs to be a bit of responsibility on the part of the training centres to tell someone they need extra training, and refuse to let them attempt the test if they're not ready.

And something needs to be done about the lack of test centres. I had to travel 2 hours for mine which is just ridiculous. Fortunately I drive so it wasn't much of an issue, but it is a big problem for some people.

:stupid: :stupid:

Would be an awesome letter to send, I wonder what his reply would be?

Also, do you have a link to this near fatal crash at the test center?

It was in MCN last week so will prob be on their website. I'm too lazy to look sorry :) .

When posting these stories they should also post up how much training the rider had previous to the accident. They won't though, it wouldn't fit into their agenda.

TBF that's why he's doing a consultation. His job is to manage the review and take on board as much expert opinion as he can get before making a informed judgement. I don't think any MP has any qualifications for the job there doing,

Mike Penning was trained at 16 to ride a bike as a despatch rider serving in the Grenadier Guards, so as he knows one end of a motorcycle from the other, hopefully he will be a bit more sympathetic to our cause than all the other fools in power.

I have tried to pass MOD1 last week and unfortunately I failed due to stupid mistake. But to be honest I found it pretty easy. Only issue I found was, it may be a bit tricky to get up to 32mph on a 125 in such a short distance (although I made it) so either a few metres longer space on perhaps 5mph lower speed limit would do the trick (on 125 only, no issues on 500cc)

I've got to say I really like the idea of module 1. The speed test is entirely fine but they do need to adjust it for the conditions and the machines.

Quite simply, they need to take out the "speed" restriction. Or at least give everyone enough of a run up so they don't focus on the speed but rather on the stop.

In short, it's a good idea. Just needs refining.

I've got to say I really like the idea of module 1. The speed test is entirely fine but they do need to adjust it for the conditions and the machines.

Quite simply, they need to take out the "speed" restriction. Or at least give everyone enough of a run up so they don't focus on the speed but rather on the stop.

In short, it's a good idea. Just needs refining.

Agree with you :thumb:

Thanks for all your replys on this topic. They are all really useful and very well written.

Lets hope things change for the better. http://www.bikertimes.co.uk has all the notes and opinions forwarded to the government. Any other views would be welcome as we need a rounded picture of the UK biking scene.

We need to promote biking and get more on 2 wheels.

Great forum and great people on here.

:cheers: