2 stroke advice

gaz91

Hi everyone just joined the group and need a little advice, iam looking to buy a yamaha 125 tdr, its 14yrs old and has been well looked after, the problem is the bike has done 16,200 miles, and wondering is this to much for a 2 stroke engine.

Thanks Gaz

I wouldn't say too "too much". You just need to check if its engine has been rebuild recently. If not then it will be up to you to do that and you will be able to do another 8-10k miles until another rebuild :)

It depends mostly if you will do it yourself or take it to the garage as the most expensive is labour. If you are handy with tools I am sure you could do it fairly cheap. Can't give you exact price but I guess £200-£300 would be absolute maximum. Couldn't find a kit for tdr but top end rebuild kit for Aprilia RS125 is £60 from ebay...Clicky ebay link

Hey,

To be completely honest with you, if you factor the price of a rebuild into the overall price and its still a bargin then there isnt much excuse not to go for it (reeaallllyyyy)...

2 strokes are mighty simple, do a little googlage, find some tools and have a hack at it.

With a decent walkthrough and some patients you are more likely to get through it in one peice and have a fresh rebuilt engine to play on that to kill it!

The milage isnt that high, top end rebuilds are a regular thing for small 2 strokes as they are under a lot of strain (higher state of tune, more power) which is why they are pretty cheap to do (parts wise at least).

All that being said at that age, although it shouldnt be in bad nick if looked after i would be taking a look at bearings, fairings, calipers, fork seals, tubes, tires and the rest of the bike :wink:

Best regards

-Jvr

The sound like interesting and also good point out. I want to see your bikes image. After I will get best idea for it. Whether All the idea will be worthless for it. I Hope that You will represent it as soon as possible.

They are fairly solid for 2-stroke bikes. So as long as it has a rebuild every 10,000 miles at most it will be fine. It should have had one or 2 by now. Make sure this is the case or I would be rebuilding it myself in a heart beat. Piece of piss job to do as nothing has to be syncronised with a 2-stroke like you had to with a 4-stroke as the whole process relies on the movement of the piston rather than times valves etc.

I have seen and performed rebuilds countless times either with a mate or on my own bike alone. Its easy as hell with a Haynes manual or even just a Youtube video as I learned from.