Nuver 2 dumb questions on xj 600 Engine

polecat

If you Don't ask ......

1. there is a Tapping noise coming from the engine but it does not seem to increase with revs, just a constant tap tap or tick tick maby ,could this be the Fuel pump or something more serious?

2. when the engine is at idle 1400 rpm the engine note goes up and down slightly in a regular manner ... is this Carb balance or somethng else or nothing to worry about :) ?

Learning to be a Bike mechanic so bear with me please :cheers:

If you Don't ask ......

1. there is a Tapping noise coming from the engine but it does not seem to increase with revs, just a constant tap tap or tick tick maby ,could this be the Fuel pump or something more serious?

if the startermotor runs, then its not the starter relay, when you switch the bike on, you should hear a couple of ticks, as the pump pressurises the carbs, it wont run if the pump is faulty, not even on prime, so make sure the pump is working

so you have a fuel pump, which would explain this ticking, i dont, as mine carbs are vacuum fed, hence the google..

2. when the engine is at idle 1400 rpm the engine note goes up and down slightly in a regular manner ... is this Carb balance or somethng else or nothing to worry about :) ?

the engine at tickover/idle is not far from stalling this is the engine note that you are hearing..

useful linky

http://diversionclub.proboards.com/index.cgi

this is bike specific forum,

Divvy 600 engines do have a tendancy to be a little rattly so if it's not very loud it's probably normal.

The engine note going up and down sounds like the carbs could be slightly out of balance, but they should of been balanced when the restrictors were put in? So perhaps it could just be a side effect of the restrictors? How much does the rev counter needle move when idling?

If you Don't ask ......

if the startermotor runs, then its not the starter relay, when you switch the bike on, you should hear a couple of ticks, as the pump pressurises the carbs, it wont run if the pump is faulty, not even on prime, so make sure the pump is working

so you have a fuel pump, which would explain this ticking, i dont, as mine carbs are vacuum fed, hence the google..

the engine at tickover/idle is not far from stalling this is the engine note that you are hearing..

useful linky

http://diversionclub.proboards.com/index.cgi

this is bike specific forum,

THANKS FOR THE LINK :cheers:

Divvy 600 engines do have a tendancy to be a little rattly so if it's not very loud it's probably normal.

The engine note going up and down sounds like the carbs could be slightly out of balance, but they should of been balanced when the restrictors were put in? So perhaps it could just be a side effect of the restrictors? How much does the rev counter needle move when idling?

Its not a great deal ,just a pulsing maby 50 - 100 rpm Max ?

The rattle was the clutch and I was told putting it at the correct RPM on tick over sorts this out but the tapping is just a regular beat the whole time the engine is running.

Its not a great deal ,just a pulsing maby 50 - 100 rpm Max ?

The rattle was the clutch and I was told putting it at the correct RPM on tick over sorts this out but the tapping is just a regular beat the whole time the engine is running.

Could be a small air leak where one carb joins the engine, or the carbs slightly out of balance, it won't damage anything so I wouldn't worry too much.

The tapping is more difficult to diagnose without being there and hearing it, if it doesn't alter with engine speed then it's probably not any of the major mechanical assemblies falling apart, can you tell where abouts on the engine it's coming from?

Next time your out on it, it could be worth calling into that bike shop that did the restrictors for you, they seemed pretty honest and decent, at least then it would put your mind at rest :thumb: