Installing LED lights?

CamChain

Hi all,

I'm installing a rear light, stop/tail with integral indicators, on the bike. It's an led unit. Now I have read that resistors should be connected, in line. How would I know the ohm's resstance I would need, or is there a standard resistor for the job? any help appreciated.

Got a feeling the resistors are readily available from all good bike shops. HG stock them for sure.

Cheers Dan. :cheers:

I take it that the resistors are a standard resistance, no need to work out the resistance. Just been looking at them on fleebay. Do I still incorporate the flasher unit, the stock one, or do the resistance units take care of that.

get yourself an LED flasher relay from halfords then you wont need the resistors.

agreed costs 19.99 and u just unplug one and plug in the other well thats how it worked on my ninja when i fitted the integral rear lights :-)

forget the flasher units they rarely fit properly and are usually poor quality and are made for LED lights front and rear so may not flash at the correct rate if the fronts arent LED

hein gericke sell the right resistors at £2 each

i have the same type of light unit on my bike and the resistors work spot on

If you need to buy one: the formula to calculate the resistance is R = (V*V)/P, where V is the battery voltage and P is the power you want the resistor to draw.

For a 5W load at about 13V, that works out to about 33 Ohms.

Bear in mind when installing, that it's dissipating the same power a normal bulb does, so it'll get hot.