crackcase leaking oil

Guest Numbers

Hi

past few days iv noticed more and more oil splodges on the floor where the bike sits. today i checked the cranckcase cover area and its leaking from there. this is where i changed the clutch so iv damaged the seal somwhere as the flipping things leaking oil. im not taking that apart again it was a nightmare. its only leaking a small amount so will it be alrite for a few weeks until i can sort it out ?

yeah will check oil level. havent a clue why its leaking i guess i scraped the cranckcase cover when removing the gasket or i didnt remove enough of it.

right pain in the neck to be honest now the oil gotta be drained again etc. not doing it myself again too much hassle

i checked a few of the bolts set the torque wrench to the correct torque and i can move the bolts with the wrench without it clicking. torque isnt right then. i am worried im going to strip the bolts if i try tightening them

think i may have stripped one of the bolts in the cranckase :cry:

the bolt keeps turning at quite a bit of force but its not clicking on the torque wrench

think i may have stripped one of the bolts in the cranckase :cry:

the bolt keeps turning at quite a bit of force but its not clicking on the torque wrench

Oh dear, what do you do in that situation? would you have to drill out the bolt, any way to rethread the hole?

dont know but im bricking it now. i dont know if its rounded of or not. im probably guna go to the honda dealers and book a new tyre to be fitted so will ask about this aswell

If you've stripped a tread a helicoil kit is the way to go. be careful of that leaking oil getting on the back tyre, if oil get on there, you'l have more than the clutch housing to repair. :shock:

First off, you've probably not made this mistake, but check that you've definitely set the right torque. Check the torque you're using on both the tool, and the reference you're getting it from. I mistook "8mm crankcase bolts" in my Haynes to mean just that, so 25Nm. Snap snap snap. Hmmm. Called Honda, it was actually ~9Nm i should've been using - the Haynes was referring to other bolts :oops: (i do blame Haynes for being as clear as mud on that though)

Secondly, and again sticking with the obvious: You did thoroughly scrape off the old gasket, and replace it with a new one, which you seated correctly and carefully, yes?

You can buy replacement bolts from Honda, i found the old ones easy to remove despite having snapped them off - many of them turned out very easily. The bike doesn't seem to mind in the slightest that 3/4 are missing though (i've got the new bolts, just haven't fitted them yet) :lol:

And for eab's sake if not your own, check the oil before every ride until you've resolved this. I imagine you'll poor eab such a massive headache if you seize the bike up :lol: