Held Textile Jacket

Guest jonnyboy678

I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on the textile jackets made by Held. I was looking at the Held 4 Touring jacket as I want a decent jacket/trouser combo that I can use to commute to work through all weathers, but can't afford a full goretex outfit. Can't really find and decent reviews, so wondered if anyone had one and could comment on how waterproof they are etc.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I’ve got some Held waterproof gloves, made from a combination of leather and textile. They are indeed waterproof… for about five minutes. I have some Hein Gericke Gor Tex boots that cost £150, they are completely waterproof for the duration of my commute to work, (45 minutes).

My Aldi textile jacket is waterproof for about 25 minutes in heavy rain, but it’s well over a year old now and could do with a proofing treatment. I have some cheap over-trousers that I acquired from somewhere, surprisingly they keep me dry for the commute.

From my experience, you really do get what you pay for. The Aldi jacket was a manager’s special for £25, it lets in water midway down the arms, but for the price I put up with this. I’m sure that if I was to spend ten times the amount I could get a Gor Tex jacket that would keep me dry for the entire commute, but I am not in a position to ‘splash out’ (excuse the pun) on the required £299. Nevertheless, I’m glad I bought those boots five or so years ago, because they have proved to be worth every penny, and I have no reason to believe that a HG jacket would be any different.

Incidentally, Heine Gericke used to operate a life time guarantee system,which offered some comeback, I don’t know if this is still the case. Their products tend to be expensive, but as mentioned before, you get what you pay for.

The weather we’ve had recently has been enough to challenge any waterproof system… I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’m going to get wet, so I plan accordingly! I would, however, feel reluctant to recommend a Held jacket, based purely on my experience with their gloves. This may be unfair, but it’s what I would say if pressed. Good luck if you proceed, and let us know what your experience is... :D

I can't comment on the Held, but I can tell you that the RST pro trousers are proper water proof so would expect the jackets to be too. As is the HG goretex jacket I have (bought on offer for £99 instead of £200). Sadly prices seem to have shot up since I bought that jacket as minimum seems to be £250-300 however I've just seen this deal if you're the right size: http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/ ... hwarz.html

Also you may get another £40 off as they have an offer on if you spend over £160