30 year break from bikes

Guest shatters

Hi all

Returning to bikes after a 30 year break...Wondering if any other members have found problems with transition 900cc 30 years ago was the dogs bollocks..now 400-600cc can outperform 900 1000 of 30 years ago.

Plus many more knobs on the road..I always give bikes plenty of space and anticipate most of there moves..looking at a Bandit 600 but may have to 'learn' to ride a bike again..

comments appreciated...

Steve :?:

Hi Steve, I had a break too (approx 20 Years). Bikes are bikes......you are right that the current 600 bikes could outperform 900 bikes from 30 years back...but things like brakes and chassis design have also improved. Tyres are considerably better now too.

I started again on a Triumph 900 Trophy...and to be honest the performance was OK...but i just found the thing to be too damn heavy (top heavy). I've recently got a Triumph Speed 4 which suits me a lot more. 600cc but with around 98bhp....and it weighs in at around 175Kg...which is best part of 70Kg less than my Trophy!

The roads are worse (over populated) these days...but a bit of common sense...and maybe a bit of Training (BikeSafe) should help.

You can contact local bike training groups who can run refresher training for those who have had a bit of a break (CamRider is our local group) just to get the feel again.

Good Luck,

Bob

I had a break of 43 years, sold my BSA A10 Rocket in 1962 :(

then bought a T100 in 2005, Couple of Hrs at the local school on a 125 then a couple for roadwork on an ER5,, Job done,

Though I must admit, it took a lot riding to get back to anything like what it used to be :wink:

Edited by Roadtorque

I did pretty much the same as Roadtorque and had lessons on a 125 and then an ER5 before buying my Bonnie T100. Bob (AKA Tango) didn't have any but then he was a much more experienced rider than me before giving up.

I don't think you forget how to ride and equally no amount of lessons are a substitute for just getting out there and riding but they can help to build confidence.

I find I'm a lot more cautious these days (too cautious really) partly because of a greater sense of mortality and partly because I don't ride bikes every day as a means of transport like I used to.

Bikesafe sounds like a good idea, or ride out with someone else who will give you honest feedback.

Welcome back to biking

Mandy