break callipers [done]

mealexme

right, so i took the calipers off, no problem. then pulled the gear leaver (to see what part actually moved) turns out it the round thing that moves out. brilliatn, now inknow... except it moves out but wont move back in. So i tried it again hoping it would go in again the second time.. it just came out more. Now i cant get the pads on and i am meant to be going out in half an hour. Help... please?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/5815088459_c83f8a6e7d.jpg

Alex

Edited by mealexme

Guest Hodgy

You need to put a G clamp on it to push it back in, or try using a lever of some sort, but you need to push it in 'square' else it will get even more stuck

P.S. Try giving the piston a bit of a clean up before pushing it back in, tooth brush and brake cleaner works well :thumb:

Edited by Hodgy

I've had this problem every time I've too the GSXF's calipers apart.

Clean the piston as much as you can to get the dirt off. Then get some wood or something and place it over the piston and whack it with a hammer (or use a wooden mallet)

If you have a strong G-clamp that works too though I've broken one before trying to use one for this job.

I've had this problem every time I've too the GSXF's calipers apart.

Clean the piston as much as you can to get the dirt off. Then get some wood or something and place it over the piston and whack it with a hammer (or use a wooden mallet)

If you have a strong G-clamp that works too though I've broken one before trying to use one for this job.

tried the hammer approach. not working :(

will give it another go in a bit

Guest Hodgy

You won't do it by hammering, it needs firm pressure to push it back in.

Try putting a piece of wood across the piston and push it in evenly if you can

You won't do it by hammering, it needs firm pressure to push it back in.

Try putting a piece of wood across the piston and push it in evenly if you can

was gunna say, hammering not doing anything. using even pressure though, but i wasnt sure if i was jamming it more by doing it unevenly so i pressed the break tosee if it was stuck... it wasnt :/

will try something and stand on it or something.im just notsure what to use now

DONE IT!!!! only took a few hours, but its done! ended up using a wierd arrangement, i will upload a pic later.off toput it all back together. thank you all, even though i didnt get it done by the time i wanted :( ight still make it out :)

lol techno.

and erm.... it still needs to go about another mm, and 12stone 7 on top of it isnt budging it any more. I dont have any clamps either... any ideas? any way to release some pressure from behind it?

right, so i took the calipers off, no problem. then pulled the gear leaver (to see what part actually moved) turns out it the round thing that moves out. brilliatn, now inknow... except it moves out but wont move back in. So i tried it again hoping it would go in again the second time.. it just came out more. Now i cant get the pads on and i am meant to be going out in half an hour. Help... please?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/5815088459_c83f8a6e7d.jpg

Alex

Buy 2 c clamps. Put a piece of wood across the face of the piston and one behind the caliper. Sqeeze the wood pieces together by tightening the clamps evenly. You may need to remove the lid of your mastercylinder reservoir to let the fluid flow backwards.

Please don't hit precision made brake parts with a hammer.

How did moving the gear lever make the brake caliper piston extend?

A few inexpensive, basic maintenance tools will pay for themselves quickly and last a lifetime.

The right tool for the right job saves buying extra parts.

Your first buy should be a manual. Knowing how things work is the first step to fixing them. 8-)

Buy 2 c clamps. Put a piece of wood across the face of the piston and one behind the caliper. Sqeeze the wood pieces together by tightening the clamps evenly. You may need to remove the lid of your mastercylinder reservoir to let the fluid flow backwards.

Please don't hit precision made brake parts with a hammer. but if in doubt, i always use a hammer. its the best way haha

How did moving the gear lever make the brake caliper piston extend?did i say gear? haha, i meant break lever

A few inexpensive, basic maintenance tools will pay for themselves quickly and last a lifetime.

The right tool for the right job saves buying extra parts.

Your first buy should be a manual. Knowing how things work is the first step to fixing them. 8-)i thought thats what tmbf was? haha, joke. I did get one for my scooter, but didnt get round to getting one for this bike. I have just enough money to get doing my test, and i aint spending that on anything else! I will def get one for my next bike/this bike if i dont end up getting something bigger

Guest Hodgy
Just go to B & Q or your local diy shop and buy a clamp, problem solved forever

someone said they broke a clamp by using one doing this though :s

Must of either been a really cheap piece of crap clamp or the calliper was siezed solid

Just go to B & Q or your local diy shop and buy a clamp, problem solved forever

someone said they broke a clamp by using one doing this though :s

Must of either been a really cheap piece of crap clamp or the calliper was siezed solid

It was seriously stiff! Can't remember how I did it in the end, think it might have been brute force and ignorance.

lol techno.

and erm.... it still needs to go about another mm, and 12stone 7 on top of it isnt budging it any more. I dont have any clamps either... any ideas? any way to release some pressure from behind it?

try loosen bleed nipple push piston back should work, but you may need to bleed the caliper if air gets in.

ended up taking the cap off the reservoir, all done now :D

Thanks for suggestions guys, didnt manage to get out yesterday though :(

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2164/5817660577_3ff57c1ea6.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2052/5818229520_98fe59261c.jpg

:D