VFR800 Forks

mhomami

Afternoon peeps.

I have a slight problem with the forks on my VFR. She went in for a service a few days ago and the mechanic told me the forks were pitted and were rubbing/tearing the seals. He put super glue on it and sanded it down to smooth the surface but clearly that didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas short of binning the forks and getting new ones?

as above rechrome or new stansions

you can get pattern stansions now for the price or rechroming :)

and while your at it get new springs to match weight and oil too :D

Polish the area with autosol and an electric toothbrush. This should blunt any burrs on the chips causing the tearing. There is no easy fix. It's a precision moving part that is left exposed to stone , flys etc. Lots of bikes have deflectors fitted and you can get an aftermarket universal part. Some fit a sleeve/gaiter to protect it. Check for drying insect remains after summer rides. Digestive juices eat the metal and the little bodies can become quite sharp when dried on. These will tear the seal as they pass through it. Only permanant fix is a replacement or a polish and rechrome. The look after them. 8-)

Its an expensive part to neglect so I polish miine on the XJ600 every day or so to keep them perfect and use plenty of acf when the bike is not in use.

I think the only real solution when they go bad is to replace them :(

One of our consultants as work has exactly this problem and it goes through forks seals every 6 months or so.

He looking into it and rubdown and rechrome was about £140, which is a lot cheaper than new stanchions from honda!

• 2 weeks later...

Re-chroming looks like the eventual remedy (cheers for the link bob) but will attempt to smooth it out with a wire brush for the time being (thanks Colin). Cleaned the chain last week and noticed red splodges all over it. That needs to be changed and probably rear shocks too as they feel spongy. Either that or my fat arse is much heavier than the skinny thing that was riding it before me and it just needs adjusting. Money money money.

On the plus side I got myself a Loobman :D Very clever contraption which I will fit once I get a new chain sorted out.