Hi guys, is my bike restricted?

Guest s777

Hey all I am new here in search of some advice.

I recently passed my test, a few weeks back, and had a ZX6R waiting for me when i did. I bought it a few months back when I came into a bit of cash.

Now its a 1996 model, 26k on the clock. I am 6"2 and 105kg bodyweight.

It maxes out at 100mph. Will not go any faster than that whatsoever. Rpm wise up to about 9k is fine, then it just screams at me to change gear.

Other than this the bike is fine, and I had put this down to either the bikes age, or me being a bit heavy for it, but a mate of mine has said it sounds like its restricted.

I have done some googling, and everything I have read online seems to suggest the same.

The lad I bought it off was only 20/21 so he may well have had it restricted? I have tried getting in touch but no response.

So what do you guys reckon? I am seriously far from being a mechanic, have read I should remove the air box and look at carbs, but I would have to know what they are to do that! :D

So, is it restricted? If it is, how much would agarage charge to sort it?

Scott

A 96 model I would've thought were carbs. So yes, take off the airbox, and look between the carbs and the inlet rubbers on the engine. If it's restricted, there'll be washers in the restricting the airflow :)

I passed on DAS, but if the lad was 20/21 would he have been able to ride a 600 unrestricted?

No he wouldn't, legally.

If it fails to get past 9k in all gears it does sound like restriction. Carbs need to come off to check, as others have said.

Thats the thing I have no idea about the mechanics side of things to do it!

How much would garage charge any guesses?

It depends on the hourly rate of the garage, cos it really is no more than a 15 minute job, you'd be paying at least an hour's labour.

It's really simple to do, take off the big black box attached to the carbs, pull the carbs back just enough so it detaches from the rubber inlets, and it'll be obvious if there are washers in there. Pull them out with some pliers or something, and reverse the procedure to put back together.

Thats the thing I have no idea about the mechanics side of things to do it!

How much would garage charge any guesses?

It depends on the hourly rate of the garage, cos it really is no more than a 15 minute job, you'd be paying at least an hour's labour.

It's really simple to do, take off the big black box attached to the carbs, pull the carbs back just enough so it detaches from the rubber inlets, and it'll be obvious if there are washers in there. Pull them out with some pliers or something, and reverse the procedure to put back together.

I dont even know what carbs are :shock:

They're the things that mix the fuel and air, sitting behind the engine in an inline 4 engine, underneath the fuel tank.

yes he would, I will be unrestricted when I am 19...

Depends on when you passed your test :)

I passed on DAS, but if the lad was 20/21 would he have been able to ride a 600 unrestricted?

No he wouldn't, legally.

Yes he would, I will be unrestricted when I am 19...

At which stage I will still be stupid. :P

I retract, he would be able to assuming he passed his test > 2 years before he rode it unrestricted.

They're the things that mix the fuel and air, sitting behind the engine in an inline 4 engine, underneath the fuel tank.

Im not confident enough to start taking things apart

Im not confident enough to start taking things apart

Fair enough, it'll be a minimum of 1 hour's labour charge, depending on where you go, upwards of £55? from an independent garage

Thats not too bad I guess, thought hate visiting garages as I know nothing and always expect to be ripped off ;)

Just to make sure we're not missing something here........when you say it revs to 9k and then screams at you to change gear I'm assuming you mean it will not rev above 9k? if that's the case it could either be restricted or a problem in the air/fuelling.

Or are you saying that it gets to 9k ok (100mph, obviously not on the public highway... :wink: ) and does the revs rise but it goes no faster? ie: slipping clutch.

Just want to make sure that we've got this straight before you take it down the bike shop.

Look at the other thread on here about (sorry can't remember who's thread it was) the Fazer that was maxing out at 5-6K as the solution may be similar.

Good Luck,

Bob

Just to make sure we're not missing something here........when you say it revs to 9k and then screams at you to change gear I'm assuming you mean it will not rev above 9k? if that's the case it could either be restricted or a problem in the air/fuelling.

Or are you saying that it gets to 9k ok (100mph, obviously not on the public highway... :wink: ) and does the revs rise but it goes no faster? ie: slipping clutch.

Just want to make sure that we've got this straight before you take it down the bike shop.

Look at the other thread on here about (sorry can't remember who's thread it was) the Fazer that was maxing out at 5-6K as the solution may be similar.

Good Luck,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I have never had it above 10k rpm whatsoever, it just screams but makes no difference to speed. If I keep the throttle open the revs stay at 10k max.

I had a little experiment on my own private airstrip the other day, and 6th gear full throttle it just would not go past 100mph at all.

Everything about the bike is responsive, just wont rev (in any gear) above 9-10k and will not go over 100mph whatsoever.

ideas? Garage time?

even if it is restricted it should rev all the way to the redline eventually

does it rev freely when in nuatral?

take it for a ride to warm it up fully stop somewhere and give it a nice handfull of revs and see if it goes past/to the red line it should do in nuatral

also as someone else has said what is your location????

it could be that a member is just round the corner and can pop round to take a look

take it for a ride to warm it up fully stop somewhere and give it a nice handfull of revs and see if it goes past/to the red line it should do in nuatral

it could be that a member is just round the corner and can pop round to take a look

Im based in Leicester.

I will do this tomorrow morning and report back regarding the revs, cheers

It does sound like it's restricted. Unfortunately I have no experience of restrictors apart from the general principle of their operation. Any YouTube vids for fitting/removing restrictors on your bike?

Bob

Right

Before work yesterday I took it into the countryside and found some quiet roads.

In neutral it WILL rev all the way up into the red.

In first and second it WILL actually hit the red, but acceleration stops at around 9k rpm.

In third gear + the rpm will not go past 9-10k and as said, top speed wise it maxes at 95-100mph.

It defo sounds like its restricted

Otherwise it wouldn't rev out in some gears and not others

As already stated you off to remove tank and airbox and carbs to rremove the washers it it really easy to do