Which test should I do and is a ZXR400 ok for first bike?

Guest Adolf

Hi I've recently just started working again and previously had a RS125, I really want to pass my bike test I'm coming up 20 in October, which test will be beneficial to me? I quite like the look of ZXR400's are these good first bikes for a road bike and are these relatively cheap on insurance?

I know I'll be restricted for 2 years, should I wait until I'm 21 or just get my full test out the way now?

Thanks,

Adolf.

Personally, I'd wait til I was 21.

400s a good starter bike, not sure on reliability or spares prices etc though

I really want to get on the road asap though tbh, if I passed on 33bhp test, ride the 400 for 2yrs that would be alright?

Personally, I'd wait til I was 21.

400s a good starter bike, not sure on reliability or spares prices etc though

I really want to get on the road asap though tbh, if I passed on 33bhp test, ride the 400 for 2yrs that would be alright?

It would. Check out Ebay for the spares situation. My son and I both have CBR400s which are also imported, and there's no shortage of spares for them.

yep you can do that only thing with the 400 is it was only ever an import and spares might not be readily available over the counter dont forget there is wide choice of 600's out there that restrict to 33bhp ok as well and insurnce will not be much different

yep you can do that only thing with the 400 is it was only ever an import and spares might not be readily available over the counter dont forget there is wide choice of 600's out there that restrict to 33bhp ok as well and insurnce will not be much different

So if I was to get a zxr600 the insurance won't be massively different to a zxr400? How much a year would you expect a 19yr old to pay on a 33bhp zx6r roughly?

So if I was to get a zxr600 the insurance won't be massively different to a zxr400? How much a year would you expect a 19yr old to pay on a 33bhp zx6r roughly?

Alot... Once I had past my test there was only a few viable options on the insurance front being 17 and only passing my test a few weeks previous. Anything that was even remotely sporty (IE Any CBR) was too expensive... In the end the only 600's that were below £700 were the SV650 at £620 and the Bandit 600 at £380. I got the bandit. The insurance quote I got on the cbr (FV model I think) was over £1500. Basically your looking at pushing 2 grand on any supersport. If you want good insurance you want to be looking at Sports Tourers or lower CC bikes not super sports.

Don't forget there is always the option of uprgrading your licence to A1, once you turn 21 (another test of course) but gets you on the road sooner rather than later ...

Try some price comparison sites for insurance ideas.

the zxr4 is very revvy , definitely a supersports, and not what id descibe as an ideal first bike

But the RS125 is also a little screamer and I'm fine with that.

Alot... Once I had past my test there was only a few viable options on the insurance front being 17 and only passing my test a few weeks previous. Anything that was even remotely sporty (IE Any CBR) was too expensive... In the end the only 600's that were below £700 were the SV650 at £620 and the Bandit 600 at £380. I got the bandit. The insurance quote I got on the cbr (FV model I think) was over £1500. Basically your looking at pushing 2 grand on any supersport. If you want good insurance you want to be looking at Sports Tourers or lower CC bikes not super sports.

Ah, just someone earlier on said very little difference, was thinking of just getting a ZXR400 and keeping it for the 2 years then getting a 600. But will insurance be relatively cheap for the 400? I have 3 years experience, started on RS50, then went onto a RS125 so not really a noob not on a bike, however I do understand they is a difference between a RS125 and a ZXR400.

My son at 18 found that a 400 is cheaper to insure than a 600 (although different insurers favour different risks so premiums may well vary considerably)

He currently has a CBR400RR costing him around £220 tpf&t

My son at 18 found that a 400 is cheaper to insure than a 600 (although different insurers favour different risks so premiums may well vary considerably)

May I ask which insurance company please?

May I ask which insurance company please?

He placed it through Bikesure, so the company is quite likely to be KGM as they seem to be paying the best broker commission.... oops, I mean they offer the best premium in a lot of cases. But.... "(although different insurers favour different risks so premiums may well vary considerably)" repeated for emphasis. Postcode for example seems to make a huge difference sometimes, as does Make/Model and age (of bike and rider).

Also bear in mind that years since test pass is a factor they will likely consider, most companies load test passes in their first year. When he passed two years ago he informed insurers on the day, and they increased his premium by £35 on a 125 :shock:

He placed it through Bikesure, so the company is quite likely to be KGM as they seem to be paying the best broker commission.... oops, I mean they offer the best premium in a lot of cases. But.... "(although different insurers favour different risks so premiums may well vary considerably)" repeated for emphasis. Postcode for example seems to make a huge difference sometimes, as does Make/Model and age (of bike and rider).

Also bear in mind that years since test pass is a factor they will likely consider, most companies load test passes in their first year. When he passed two years ago he informed insurers on the day, and they increased his premium by £35 on a 125 :shock:

Alright thanks, do you think my best option will be to just pass my A2 test and ride a ZXR400 restricted to 33bhp (I will keep it restricted as well), will the insurance be relatively cheap though I got a quote yesterday for £800 and odd, I looked at ZX6R's and it was like 2k.

Alright thanks, do you think my best option will be to just pass my A2 test and ride a ZXR400 restricted to 33bhp (I will keep it restricted as well), will the insurance be relatively cheap though I got a quote yesterday for £800 and odd, I looked at ZX6R's and it was like 2k.

Try several online comparison websites, the prices you get will vary even quotes on the same company but different comparison site. One tip though, use a fictitious mobile number or you'll get plagued with txts.

Don't forget to play around with different makes and models as different companies will favour different bikes.

£800 :shock:

I'm only 17 and just did a quick quote on a ZXR400 now and £350... Seems very steep bearing in mind I am 17 and paid £380 for a restricted 600...

Which insurance company is that? I tried just tescos...and it was 800 and odd.

Do a quote on something like Go Compare then phone up the top 3 quotes and see if you can get them any lower... I went with 'Wicked Quotes'.

I tried Go Compare and the cheapest I can get is £811...Now £690.

Edited by Anonymous

Then maybe its time too look about at different bikes.

No, because it's the only bike I want at first, will adding a security device make it cheaper again?

No, because it's the only bike I want at first, will adding a security device make it cheaper again?

Probably, but make sure you've actually got the security, could be screwed if it goes missing and you don't :shock:

Probably, but make sure you've actually got the security, could be screwed if it goes missing and you don't :shock:

What would be some good ways to get insurance down I don't get why the 17yr old Boothy is getting lower than me and I'm 19.