Varadero fail on first outing :(

Theboyparker

Well after getting the bike last week, today was my first chance to actually test and go out, but alas it was not to be :(

The father in law is a mechanic and knows his stuff so i was glad when he said he would check it over and make sure the brakes etc worked :)

Great I thought, spent a couple of hrs doing the brakes, and check oil etc. Bike turns over lovely and it's ready for it first ride :) I get suited n booted for my first outing ride off the drive and knock it into 2nd gear, open the throttle and stutter.... Ermmm this ain't right. Check the fuel, it's quite low so I turn it to reserve and try again.... Same :(

So after all the waiting it looks like the fuel is dirty (previous owner did say that he had to keep putting redex in every-time he filled up). Means we now have to clean all carbs etc to get it all out :( maybe next time.... And hopefully it'll work.

Gutting ain't the word :(

Is there a filter trap at the bottom of your fuel tap? Check it for obstructions before fitting an in line filter. I've just fitted an in line filter to my 2006 and it looks a bit black already. What age is your Varadero?

It's a 2001 model. Not sure in the fuel trap, there is a piece of clear tubing which is closed at one end attached to the bottom of the air intake (where the trumpets sit) which was empty and clean. We checked both diaphrams to see if they were mucked up but they were clean. I'm yet to speak to the father in law to see if he had any joy yesterday. If not i think the next move is to buy a Haynes and strip it down.