Which test do i need for what bike?

Guest Dreadstorm

Its this time of year again, when i look at maybe gettin a bike. Last year I was thinking about doing my cbt and getting a 125.

This year im feeling a bit more adventurous. im looking at a 400, i figured not massivly big but not a tiny bike. Plus more weight=better traction.

Here my problem, i proper dont understand what tests are for what.

Am i right in thinking

16bhp = just a CBT

33bhp = Mod1, mod2 on a small bike 125 etc?

full licence = mod1 mod2 on a 500cc bike OR wait two years on a 33bhp licence?

sorry if its a noob question =)

This year im feeling a bit more adventurous. im looking at a 400, i figured not massivly big but not a tiny bike. Plus more weight=better traction.

16bhp = just a CBT

33bhp = Mod1, mod2 on a small bike 125 etc?

full licence = mod1 mod2 on a 500cc bike OR wait two years on a 33bhp licence?

sorry if its a noob question =)

up to 125cc - CBT

Any bike restricted to <33bhp - Full test on a 125

Any bike - Full test on a 500cc or wait 2 years on restricted

Look here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022568

400s are great fun. I've been riding a VTR1000F-2 Firestorm for the last 2 years and recently got a CBR400RR. The CBR is just so much fun I've not touched the Firestorm for weeks :o

Cheers mate.

How much am i looking to fork out for these? Local one has these prices:

StandardModule 1 Training + Module 1 Test (All Inclusive) £285.00

Includes - CBT Course + 2 Hrs Training + Module 1 Training + Module 1 Test @ (Wakefield M.P.T.C)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Module 2 Training (6 Hrs) + Module 2 Test £237.00

All Module 2 Training Can Be Assessed On Module 1 Training,

Direct Access

Module 1 Training + Module 1 Test (All Inclusive) £295.00

Includes - CBT Course + Conversion To Larger Motorcycle + Module 1 Training + Module 1 Test @ (Wakefield M.P.T.C)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Module 2 Training (6 Hrs) + Module 2 Test £240.00

All Module 2 Training Can Be Assessed On Module 1 Training,

Is that reasonable?

Cheers mate.

How much am i looking to fork out for these? Local one has these prices:

Is that reasonable?

Those prices look to be fairly normal.

Forget the Direct Access, you're not old enough. Do standard then after 2 years the restriction is automatically lifted.

nah man im 21.

unless your going to tell me my frontal lobe wont be fully developed untill im 24 and untill then i wont be able to evaluate risk properly and should probs stick to a 33bhp machine?

nah man im 21.

unless your going to tell me my frontal lobe wont be fully developed untill im 24 and untill then i wont be able to evaluate risk properly and should probs stick to a 33bhp machine?

Apologies. Got my threads mixed up :P

No worries man :P

Would i be right in saying that the standard is easier cos your on a 125 machine, rather than a 500 on the Direct Access?

Also since i have ZERO experience on two wheels i kind of like the idea of a bit of restriction so i dont tron myself: is that a good idea or is that daft for a 21 year old?

No worries man :P

Would i be right in saying that the standard is easier cos your on a 125 machine, rather than a 500 on the Direct Access?

Also since i have ZERO experience on two wheels i kind of like the idea of a bit of restriction so i dont tron myself: is that a good idea or is that daft for a 21 year old?

A lot of people, myself incuded, think that a big bike is easier to ride than a 125.

If you don't trust your self-restraint to the extent that you feel a restriction would help, you should probably be asking yourself if you really should be considering riding at all. Have you thought about catching buses?

Your best bet is to go do CBT which is needed before you start riding anything, and then consider options for training and test. You will learn a lot about biking generally at your CBT.

Dreadstorm which training school you looking at, im with Brighouse motorcycle training, linked to DC'S in Fartown , great training and good bikes too they use Gns for CBT and have the Gladius and a couple of others for bigger bikes good instruction too

Dreadstorm which training school you looking at, im with Brighouse motorcycle training, linked to DC'S in Fartown , great training and good bikes too they use Gns for CBT and have the Gladius and a couple of others for bigger bikes good instruction too

Hey I was looking at Ridesafe in Bradford- simply cos a friend I was gunna do it with was lookin there. But tbh I live in Brighouse so a closer one may make sense!