A few mod2 questions

I am going to give it a go without any training, hoping it will be ok but I have a few questions

1. when stopping on the side of the road ready for the hill start/angled start, is putting your foot on the pavement when stopped a fail/fault?

2.Away from traffic lights, is looking in left mirror, then right mirror, then right shoulder check enough or should a left shoulder check be done too?

3. If a car is doing 55 on the duel carraigeway and I dont overtake it (my bike only likes doing 60/65 max, at a push and i dont feel comfortable pulling into the right hand lane because I will hold people up by trying to pass) would it be classed as not making appropriate progress?

4. turning left/right is checking your left/right (depending on which way you are turning) mirror, signalling, moving over in lane and then doing lifesaver before turning into the road enough in the way of rear obs or should you do a lifesaver before moving within the lane? (i.e life saver after signalling but before moving within the lane)

5. When stopped I have heard you should cover your foot over the break, so put your left foot down. Is it ok to hold the rear brake on whilst stopped, even if it is for a couple of minutes or should you take your brakes off when you stop? (presuming your not on a hill)

Thanks, Alex

1. Don't know, sorry. I imagine it would be a minor for being too close to kerb.. :?

2. Presumably you are stopped left of centre in your lane. I would only do right shoulder unless there is another lane to my left.

3. You won't get a minor for holding up traffic as long as you are making good progress. If you can overtake and it is safe to do so, then go for it. I was told on my lessons that it was ok to overtake, even on a single carrageway, as long as it is safe.

4. Lifesaver, indicate, position, lifesaver, manouver.

5. Left foot down, cover rear brake. If you're on a hill, even a small one it will keep the bike still, and it will illuminate the brake light warning people coming up behind you.

Just my own experiences and what I remember from my lessons btw, i'm not an expert..

:cheers:

1. i don't remember being told off for putting my foot on the pavement when doing my training, or taking the mod 2

2.before pulling away, always do a lifesaver over both shoulders. It may look a bit comical, but you can't get marked down for checking over both shoulders... rather too many lifesavers than not enough

3. perhaps discuss with the examiner before you head off, he/she is only human, you can ask them questions before you set off.

4. from what i remember, before moving you always lifesaver, so turning left/right, it would be mirror, indicate, lifesaver, then turn... so mirror, signal, LIFESAVER, then manouver

5. no harm keeping your foot on the brake for as long as you like

(the above is just what i remember from taking mod 2 last year)

I am going to give it a go without any training, hoping it will be ok but I have a few questions

1. when stopping on the side of the road ready for the hill start/angled start, is putting your foot on the pavement when stopped a fail/fault?

No need to put your foot on the pavement.

2.Away from traffic lights, is looking in left mirror, then right mirror, then right shoulder check enough or should a left shoulder check be done too?

Both mirrors, and a right lifesaver is sufficent for most situations.

3. If a car is doing 55 on the duel carraigeway and I dont overtake it (my bike only likes doing 60/65 max, at a push and i dont feel comfortable pulling into the right hand lane because I will hold people up by trying to pass) would it be classed as not making appropriate progress?

No.

4. turning left/right is checking your left/right (depending on which way you are turning) mirror, signalling, moving over in lane and then doing lifesaver before turning into the road enough in the way of rear obs or should you do a lifesaver before moving within the lane? (i.e life saver after signalling but before moving within the lane)

Lifesaver before you change within your lane.

5. When stopped I have heard you should cover your foot over the break, so put your left foot down. Is it ok to hold the rear brake on whilst stopped, even if it is for a couple of minutes or should you take your brakes off when you stop? (presuming your not on a hill)

Keep your foot on the brake.

Thanks, Alex

I've just had a lesson and I've been told the following:

1. when stopping on the side of the road ready for the hill start/angled start, is putting your foot on the pavement when stopped a fail/fault? Foot on pavement is fine, you should be that close when you're pulled over. You shouldn't indicate out (I thought this was weird) as you'd never pull out when traffic is approaching from behind and that's the only vehicles you need to indicate for?!

2.Away from traffic lights, is looking in left mirror, then right mirror, then right shoulder check enough or should a left shoulder check be done too? Life saver over both shoulders whenever moving away from stationary, I had a cyclist undertake me just as I was about to move off on my lesson and it was pointed out when I was checking.

3. If a car is doing 55 on the duel carraigeway and I dont overtake it (my bike only likes doing 60/65 max, at a push and i dont feel comfortable pulling into the right hand lane because I will hold people up by trying to pass) would it be classed as not making appropriate progress? Think that's reasonable, the instructor will appreciate you are on a 125cc.

4. turning left/right is checking your left/right (depending on which way you are turning) mirror, signalling, moving over in lane and then doing lifesaver before turning into the road enough in the way of rear obs or should you do a lifesaver before moving within the lane? (i.e life saver after signalling but before moving within the lane) Observe, Signal, Position, Gear, Speed, Lifesaver, Manoeuver. The Observer includes a shoulder check.

5. When stopped I have heard you should cover your foot over the break, so put your left foot down. Is it ok to hold the rear brake on whilst stopped, even if it is for a couple of minutes or should you take your brakes off when you stop? (presuming your not on a hill) It's fine to keep the brake on, tells other driviers you are stopping/stopped/stationary. People notice brake lines (normally) so less chance of being crashed into from behind!

Good luck on the Mod 2 :)