time to replace chain?

XmisterIS

As long as the rivett is mushroomed it will be fine :-)

Lovely, thanks for the reassurance! I suddenly feel chuffed that I've been able to do a non-trivial thing to my bike, mechanicallywise! Well, it's probably trivial for some, but seeing as the most technical thing I've done to it so far has been adjusting the chain and keeping the tyres inflated, for me it's pretty technical!

That being said, I've done it, it was OK (took me a while though), so I can attempt something else now - need to do a 15,000 mile service, I might attempt that (or some of it at least) myself.

Out of interest, the chain and sprocket kit, with chain breaker, plus delivery, cost me £122 (because I went for the deluxe version of the chain and sprocket kit - VXGB, whatever that means!) and fitting it all did involve quite a bit of work (taking off back wheel, etc). It took me a couple of hours (three with tea breaks!), how long would it take a bike mechanic who does these things day in day out? And how much do you reckon I've saved in labour costs?

As long as the rivett is mushroomed it will be fine :-)

Lovely, thanks for the reassurance! I suddenly feel chuffed that I've been able to do a non-trivial thing to my bike, mechanicallywise! Well, it's probably trivial for some, but seeing as the most technical thing I've done to it so far has been adjusting the chain and keeping the tyres inflated, for me it's pretty technical!

That being said, I've done it, it was OK (took me a while though), so I can attempt something else now - need to do a 15,000 mile service, I might attempt that (or some of it at least) myself.

Out of interest, the chain and sprocket kit, with chain breaker, plus delivery, cost me £122 (because I went for the deluxe version of the chain and sprocket kit - VXGB, whatever that means!) and fitting it all did involve quite a bit of work (taking off back wheel, etc). It took me a couple of hours (three with tea breaks!), how long would it take a bike mechanic who does these things day in day out? And how much do you reckon I've saved in labour costs?

1-1.5 hours.

And how much do you reckon I've saved in labour costs?

£30 to £50

That's more than the price of a slap up meal for two, I think! Now I just need to find someone to slap and somewhere to eat ....

But you would have saved the cost of the chain tool. So that leaves about enough for a McD 99p cheeseburger :lol:

spend the 30 - 50 quid on new tools for the service :wink:

ps well done for tackling it on your own

once you have done around 1000 miles with the chain check tension and the link just for peace of mind im sure you wont have any problems though and dont forget to keep it lubed atleast every 500 miles max :)

Yeah well done for having a go. As long as the rivet pins are mushroomed over just slightly, you should be OK. Dunno why it wouldn't self centre unless the actual G clamp part of the tool is bent??? I usualy finish off with the two hammer method , but I'll probably get slagged off for even mentioning it on this thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I usualy finish off with the two hammer method , but I'll probably get slagged off for even mentioning it on this thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

well now you mention it!!!

so do i :mrgreen:

and i didnt put it for the fear of been slated :lol:

it makes no odds what toold you use as long as the chain is secure :wink: