Wheel Bearings

gav00

Hi,

I'm wanting to powder coat my wheels and have found a place close to me that will do it for £48 per wheel. This includes prep etc. but they state that the tyre and bearings must be removed - they aren't willing to do this which is fair enough!

My question is, when I remove the bearings do I have to replace them when I come to put it all back together or can I just stick the originals back in?

Also, has anyone done this before and can you offer any advice?

Cheers,

Gav

You can re-use the wheel bearings you remove provided that they aren't worn, notchy or damaged. They are normally under a tenner from a bearing supplier new, unless you have a R1100S then the RHD bearing is stupidly expensive.

I'd always use new seals though.

Are they masking the wheel for you? the disc mounting points and bearing houses.

£48 is a bargain though, if thats blasted and coated.

I see. Well if the bearings are cheap I may just take the opportunity to replace them...? Are there any bearing brands/makers which are considered well made or better than others or are they all very similar?

Yeah he said that included blasting and I assume that includes masking off etc. for the powder coating.

Normally you would remove wheel bearings by using a drift onto the inner races. This could damage them internally, so I would replace them with non Chinese ones. To replace them, freeze overnight and drift back in using a big socket or just tap carefully on Outer race.

For what they cost, replace with new ones. Take the old ones to a bearing stockest and fit with a quality brand. Dam site cheaper and better than origanals. Can you believe that my Bimota came fitted with shite Chinese bearings, this on a Italian bike with wheels that are well over a grand a set !