Starts fine but doesn't maintain idle after a while

Decor58

My 2004 FZS-6 will start perfectly fine and run fine however after a while it will either idle at really low engine speeds or it wont idle at all.

If I turn the bike off few seconds and restart it, it is perfectly fine for a while then does it again.

Anyone got any ideas what might cause this?

My 2004 FZS-6 will start perfectly fine and run fine however after a while it will either idle at really low engine speeds or it wont idle at all.

If I turn the bike off few seconds and restart it, it is perfectly fine for a while then does it again.

Anyone got any ideas what might cause this?

sounds like idle jet blocked ?

have you tried increasing the idle knob ?

does it idle ok with a little choke?

If its fuel injected ignor my stupidity :D

It is fuel injected and I have played around with the idle speed settings, most of the time it work 100% fine but occasionally it does this, quite annoying.

Its coming up to needing a service so I think I might do that next weekend and check the sparks etc see if that makes a difference.

Really don't want to have to take it to the garage as trying to save some money up.

I was going to ask if the bike had been serviced recently.

My last post was a bit blunt, sorry, was using my mobile & typing is a pain in the arse!. Ask when you take it in for a service for them to keep an eye out for any possible

causes for the idle problem. The schedule should list certain checks as part of the service, I expect it'll probably go away anyway with new plugs, filters fitted etc :)

I've no idea where the idle control system is without looking at a manual, sorry!.

It might not even have an idle control valve! You would need to check some are controlled by the ecu

If it has one it should be on the air intake somewhere

Check vac lines too as suggested

Ask when you take it in for a service

Take it in for a service??????? Why?

I'll change the plugs, oil and filter and everything else it says for a major service in the hand book next Friday I think and see how that goes.

If it doesn't solve it I guess I'll give in and buy a Haynes Manual for the bike, failing that I guess I really will give in and take it to a garage...

Probably not, but worth checking that the tank breather isn't blocked. Open the filler when it stops and listen for an inrush of air 8-)

As it's injected it'll have a fuel pump.....so most likely not blocked tank breather. Could be plugs.....so you'll soon find out if it's any of the obvious things after you service it. If it still does it, then further investigation will be required.

Take it in for a service??????? Why?

I see that you're doing it yourself, 'tis clear now - sorry! :)

Further to what Colin has said, there should be some sort of vent for the tank as air definitely is drawn into the tank as fuel leaves it. It's possible that a vent might be at fault as a blocked vent will affect how fuel is drawn form the tank. If it's only slightly blocked it'll affect the fueling, badly blocked and your tank will implode in on itself :lol: