have i got a problem

keith565

took the moto guzzi norge out for a great run on Monday, was fab, 100+ miles and it sounded great. was pottering around town yesterday and it was clunking into the gears, not as smooth as day before, also had a couple of false 1st gears, put it into 1st from neutral, neutral light off, but bike not in gear. now i have noticed when i let clutch so far out quickly there is a loud clunk from the bike. have i got a problem or is it just the type of bike, shaft etc. :crybaby:

Yeah....best take it back to the dealer and ask them to take a look.....

If it's anything like the old beemer I used to ride years back the gearbox was pretty clunky unless you got the revs matched to the road speed pretty well. If it's like the beemer it'll have a single dry plate clutch similar to a car which I found to be pretty heavy. Maybe the clutch is dragging a little bit....is the adjustment OK? Sorry...these are just ideas as I don't know that bike at all apart from one of my work colleagues has one.... :)

well, it's a bit of me and a bit of the bike design.lol

seems they are a clunky bike, plus me being a newby with it seems to add a bit more.

mechanic says it is running like it should.

full service last week. new battery, plugs and so on.

got to agree with Tango, if i get it right, gear change is quite smooth, get it wrong and it does clunk, but not as bad as it seems to lol.

think i am just a bit paranoid with it being new to me, dealer said it takes many many miles to get used to the quirkyness of the guzzi.

but boy i love it.

my wife went as pillion for the first time yesterday and she says we should have got one first time round. so much better for her back, smoother over bumps, more protection, better sitting position and so on.

thanks for all the comments guys.

I believe the engine comes from a WWII scout car, but that may be Jap propaganda. Friends who ride 'em also like steam engines. Their advice would be:-

The engineering is more akin to a traction engine than a fine watch. Be firm and assertive but not rough and never in a hurry. Feel what mood the bike is in and adapt your riding style. They all love them.

Saves you money on getting the teas in on a group ride too, cos you're never there first. 8-)