Passing MOT's __ plus checking oil supply + water cooling

jasper090

Hi,

I have a Gilera RCR 50 which is a nightmare and keeps breaking and well anyway, I need to get it MOTed but currently its destined to fail so I was just wandering what are the essential criteria that the bike must comply with to pass?

Does it need indicators?

Mirror?

Working indicators?

Working bulbs in the dash display thing?

What tests does the exhaust go through? - I did my own little repair using a bake-bean tin so would that be okay?

Working fuel sensor?

Does it need a stand?

All the bolts in the crank case? - The mechanic didnt put them all back!!

Horn?

Tax?

What condition does the break pads have to be in?

Thats all i can think of currently.

Also...

I have had trouble with the piston getting hot and seizing (4 times). Someone said it could be the tuning of the engine as in the timing is too advanced etc, but seeing as it over heats, I am a little concerned that maybe the cooling system isnt working correctly. Forexample after 10 minutes of riding the bike then a 5 minute break, I dipped my finger in the coolant tank and it was the same temperature of a hot cup of coffee (I didnt have a thermometer to hand!) - Would you lot say thats too hot for such a short period of time? The bike doesnt have a fan either, but it looks like any diagrams of the bike does infact show it as having a fan - is this something to be worried of?

And, because the piston seizes, it could also be because not enough oil is getting to the engine to lubricate it right? The bike is two stoke but self mixes and the oil tank is probably about 2 liters. Since I bought the bike in october, I probably have topped the tank up (by about 50%) twice which seems like it doesnt use much oil at all (its done 1400 miles in that time). So how could i tell if oil is actually going into the engine and mixing with the fuel? (oil comes out of the oil pipe i've checked).

If anyone cold enlighten me on any of my queries i would be very grateful thank you.

Jasper

Hi mate.

All lights that are fitted have to be secure and fully working, and all lenses have to be the correct colour and intact (you will get away with a crack).

You need mirrors fitted to pass the MOT.

Not sure about dash display lights. I don't think they are an MOT fail.

Exhaust goes through noise and emissions. If the hole you have repaired is small enough, it may be ok, but if it fails the noise test because of it or the emissions are too high it will fail.

Tax doesn't come under MOT

I take it the engine is covered by fairing? If so, MOT testers cannot remove fairing to check, so should be ok.

Horn has to work

I think if it has no stand on it, it can't be failed on something that isn't there.

Brake pads need to be within the wear marks. If they are below the minimum thickness they will fail.

If I were you, I would get it to a garage and get them to check it over. Never ignore brakes, you can lose your life, or worse still, take someone elses if your brakes fail.

The garage may be able to spot weld your exhaust, mirrors should always be attached to your bike anyway so you can see what is in the other lanes before moving out!

Hope this all helps and good luck.

Point Blank, that did help thank you. Currently I have front indicators that work but both the rear indicators have been kicked off, so are non existent. Could you just further clarify that please.

The only reason I am wanted the bike to go in and pass first time is its a two week waiting list so the chances of me getting a retest soon after its first tested is slim.

Thanks again.

Yeah, you need all indicators fitted and working properly. I would keep the 2 stroke oil up to the brim and monitor it like that, shouldn't take too much oil, but depends on the engine.

Not sure about the fan on those, is it supposed to be a side fitted fan on the diagrams you have? I think it should have one though. It's been many years since I had a scooter so can't really help you here mate

Point Blank, that did help thank you. Currently I have front indicators that work but both the rear indicators have been kicked off, so are non existent. Could you just further clarify that please.

The only reason I am wanted the bike to go in and pass first time is its a two week waiting list so the chances of me getting a retest soon after its first tested is slim.

Thanks again.

If the bike came fitted with indicators from the factory when it was type approved, it needs indicators to pass an MOT. Both sets obviously need to be fitted, whats the point of front indicators if the backs are missing?

I would be surprised if the fronts are working as well with the rears missing, in all probability they are just coming on, with not enough voltage drop to cause them to blink, which is a failure even if the rears were fitted.

Hello,

I'm an MoT tester and here we go:

Does it need indicators? If fitted they must work front and rear. However if they are completely removed including switch its an advisory

Mirror? You don't need them but if you have one it must be on the O/S. again an advisory

Working indicators? As above

Working bulbs in the dash display thing? Not part of the MoT

What tests does the exhaust go through? - I did my own little repair using a bake-bean tin so would that be okay? As long as the noise it makes isn't excessive a small blow is a pass an advise.

Working fuel sensor? not tested

Does it need a stand? No, funny enough

All the bolts in the crank case? - The mechanic didnt put them all back!! Nope just an advisory

Horn? must be fitted and working.

Tax? no

What condition does the break pads have to be in? above 1mm in thickness and not contaminated by oil

Full details of the MOT manual can be found at : http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/d ... guides.htm

Hope this helps the MOT guide is the current one from what i have seen.

Lucky

Okay thanks everyone, Ben you cleared that up nicely. Its worth fitting some rear indicators on then - by the way, front ones flash perfectly normal :P.

Oh and one more question with the MOT's. does the test involve driving the bike? its just i recently fitted a new piston and the bike needs tuning correctly before its ridden properly so that hopefully it wont hole its self again.

no they don't ride the bike for the test.

how are you going to get it there and back though? :lol:

If you have no tax you can only ride it directly to the test

station and it must be booked in first.

Back of a van ;).

Back of a van ;).

and from the sound of it i would use that van to take the bike to the scrapyard :lol: